Monday, December 11, 2023
HomeNewsHartlepool: Passerby Terrence Carney aged 70 tragically murdered as...

Hartlepool: Passerby Terrence Carney aged 70 tragically murdered as he returned home after using cash machine

Police have this evening named Terrence Carney aged 70 from Hartlepool who was out and about after heading to a cash machine who was innocent passenger by.

He’d walked to nearby supermarket to collect some cash from an ATM as he headed back home he was stabbed to death following an incident at another address which resulted in a second man being hospitalised.

The man who sadly lost his life during the incident has this afternoon (Monday, October 16) been named as Terrence Carney age 70 from Hartlepool.

The thoughts and deepest sympathies of Cleveland Police and Counter Terrorism Policing North East are with the family and friends of Terrence at this extremely difficult time.

Early enquiries suggest that Terrence was a passerby at the time of the incident, having recently used a nearby ATM.

a second man being hospitalised.

Due to the circumstances surrounding the incident, Counter Terrorism Policing North East has taken responsibility for leading the investigation with the support of Cleveland Police.

Extensive enquiries continue to establish the full circumstances and explore any potential motivation.

We are keeping an open mind as we investigate to establish the facts, as we would normally do in these types of circumstances.

Cleveland Police were called to a property on Wharton Terrace, Hartlepool at 05:17 on Sunday.

On arrival police found a man with non-threatening life injuries, he was taken to hospital where he remains.

A second man was found injured on nearby Tees Street. Sadly, he died at the scene. The police are supporting his family.

A 44 year old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempt murder and remains in custody. A Superintendent’s extension has been granted, giving a further 12 hours to question the suspect.

A cordon does remain in place at a property in Hartlepool.

Head of CTP North East Detective Chief Superintendent James Dunkerley said: “Although our enquiries are still at a very early stage, the circumstances surrounding this incident have resulted in Counter Terrorism Policing taking the lead for this investigation.

“From the enquiries undertaken so far, there is no evidence to suggest that there was any other person involved in the attack, and, at this time, we are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the man killed yesterday, and are thoughts are with the man who remains in hospital.”

Deputy Chief Constable Victoria Fuller from Cleveland Police added: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the man who lost his life yesterday.

“Though incidents of this nature are very rare, I understand the concern that yesterday’s events will have caused amongst our local community.

“We have local officers patrolling in the area to provide reassurance to our local communities.

“We continue to work closely with colleagues from Counter Terrorism Policing North East as the investigation progresses. We are also working with other partner agencies and key community representatives to reassure them and keep them informed.”

“I would like to offer my thanks to the attending officers who swiftly responded to this incident. A man has been arrested in connection with it and remains in custody.”

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -