A man who was shot dead in broad daylight in Belfast is believed to have been a suspect in the murder of a 17-year-old boy who was brutally murdered and dismembered earlier this year.
Robbie Lawlor aged 35 was shot in the front garden of a house on Etna Drive in Ardoyne at 11.50am on Saturday morning.
It is understood that Lawlor was a senior figure within a feuding criminal gang and was understood to have been in hiding since the abduction and murder of Drogheda teenager Keane Mulready-Woods,
His body was found dismembered in Dublin in January 2020.
Four men have been arrested in connection with Saturday’s shooting, which has been condemned by police.
Det Supt Jason Murphy said he was ‘astounded by the recklessness of the killer or killers’.
He said: ‘Those involved in this murder selfishly gave no thought to the impact on frontline emergency services who are already working hard to keep people safe with an already stretched resource.
‘Not only did they carry out this callous murder leaving a family experiencing their worst nightmare, but they did not care that children and other members of this north Belfast community were placed at risk.’