Coronavirus: two arrested, one hurt as 150 people attend a funeral
Police have arrested two men at a funeral in which a teenage boy was left injured in a motorbike accident which was attended by 150 people breaking social distancing rules in Kent.
Kent Police were given intelligence that the funeral would be going ahead. However, the funeral went head because the police were given “very little notice”.
The funeral happened on Thursday and was attended by a large number of motorcyclists.
Two men attending were arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving without a licence they were aged 24 and 32.
Kent Police confirmed they had been informed about a large gathering on the Sheepy Way the night before but they did not get a chance to remind those involved of the social distancing measures.
Chief Inspector Neil Loudon said: “Kent Police was afforded very little notice about this large gathering and as such a decision was made to allow the funeral to go ahead during what was no doubt a difficult time for those who had lost a loved one.
“Officers’ priority was to maintain a presence while offering protection to the wider community around any health concerns they may have had.”
The inspector added that his officers will, however, be in touch with those people who were not following the rules to ensure they are reminded about theft personal responsibilities during the coronavirus lockdowns.
He said there will be an increased police presence in the area over the coming days to provide reassurance.
“Our investigation continues and where there are clear acts of anti-social behaviour, crime, and persistent breaches of coronavirus legislation then we will seek to identify and prosecute these,” he said.
Official Government advice allows funerals to go ahead however only members of the deceased person’s household or close family are allowed to attended and a two-metre distance must be maintained.
Sadly no hugging or conforming each other is permitted.