McDonald’s has announced they will offer takeaway, drive-thru and delivery only during the Covid-19 outbreak,
Customers are now onoly able to use the takeaway, drive-thru, Uber Eats or Just Eat. But there promise there will be no contact.
McDonald’s says all of its restaurants in the UK will close seating areas and temporarily move to offering takeaway, drive-thru and delivery only amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The fast-food restaurant confirmed the change will kick in from 5am on Wednesday.
A statement from the company said all restaurants across the UK and Ireland will close seating areas and temporarily move to being takeaway and delivery operations only.
All McDelivery orders via Uber Eats and Just Eat will from now on be contact-free, the company’s statement continued.
There will be “no physical contact between customers, employees and couriers wherever possible.”
The statement continued: “In these unprecedented times, our restaurants will continue to remain open for as long as it is safe to do so.”
McDonald’s UK and Ireland boss Paul Pomroy said: “The wellbeing of our employees, customers and suppliers remains of the greatest importance to us and these changes are designed with you all in mind.
“We have not taken this decision lightly and will continue to review this over the coming days.”
The company last week announced it would be enhancing its cleaning regimes at its restaurants in order to help reduce the spread of Covid-19.
That included more sanitising of surfaces and its touch-screen ordering tablets, cleaning more regularly using disinfectants, and reminding employees of the importance of constant hand-washing.
McDonald’s said it had also taken the decision to delay this year’s popular Monopoly promotion until the branch could be confident that customers can win, claim and redeem the prizes available.
It said: “This year’s prizes include a number of luxury holidays, European city breaks and cruises which will have all been impacted by current and ongoing restrictions on international travel.
Following conversations with our suppliers and prize partners, we feel it is appropriate to delay the promotion until later this year.
I apologise for any disappointment caused by this update and I look forward to Monopoly returning to our restaurants as soon as possible.”
The major global fast-food chain’s announcement comes after one of the UK’s biggest supermarket chains announced it would slash its opening hours.