A dog owner is calling for fireworks to be banned after her 18-week-old puppy has sadly died ‘from fright caused by fireworks’.
Susan Paterson took to facebook to announce that her terrier, called Molly died in Wombley, South Yorkshire.
Posting on Facebook she said: “Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.
“Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.
“Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts. We are still trying to make sense of what happened. Dreading the fireworks again tonight.”
Paterson is now urging people to sign a petition calling for the general sale of fireworks to be banned within the UK which has already surpassed more than 180K signatures meaning parliament will now have to consider a debate.
The petition – which was set up by Elizabeth Jayne Harden – reads: “Every year more and more people, animals and wildlife get hurt by fireworks. It’s time something was done to stop this. There are enough organized firework groups around for us to still enjoy fireworks safely so please help me stop the needless sale of them to the public!
“The noise from fireworks causes a great amount of fear, stress, and anxiety in wild animals… Errant fireworks can also cause environmental damage through fires, and from the release of poisonous chemicals and particle-laden smoke, which is not just inhaled by wildlife, but contaminates the natural environment.”
Why are dogs bothered by fireworks?
Dogs have four times more sensitive hearing than we do, therefore they hear the loud cracks and bangs of fireworks which means these can cause a terrifying and confusing experience.
Because fireworks are sudden they are unexpected for dogs and bring unpredictable situations that can cause distress on dogs and have a lasting impact on dogs.
Enjoyed this article?
There’s a lot of misinformation doing the rounds about #coronavirus, and it’s hard to know who to trust. Visit NHS Directly to find out what the symptoms are, how to prevent the spread, and who should stay at home..