Connect with us

News

My Story the Whitby RNLI hero sacked over a light hearted joke

Published

on

The story of Joe Winspear in his own words As many of you know I was recently stood down by the RNLI for a breach of the Code of Conduct and finally today I am able to tell you my side of the story as I have been kept quiet by the RNLI until are appeal hearing was completed.

Firstly I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone that has contacted us and supported us though this entire nightmare. Sorry I haven’t got back to you all as of yet hopefully I will soon.

Today myself and Ben received the decision that will not be reinstated to the Whitby Lifeboat Crew which for us is a heart breaking decision as all we have ever wanted to do was to save lives at sea.

The mugs where a light hearted joke between the crew of which no one of the crew was offended. Many of you will know that from time to time we have to see and deal with circumstances that no one should ever have to deal with of which I have received limited if any support from the RNLI after events like that.

The mugs were found by an Area Lifesaving Manager and we as a crew were told that if they were taken off the station no further action would be taken. They were taken off station within 48 hours.

2 months later we received emails from the RNLI stating that we were under investigation for a breach of the Code of Conduct and we had to attend a mandatory interview.

I was hounded for days to arrange an interview which I did for Thursday 15th March and we were told that we couldn’t have anyone sit in on the interview, which after consulting with my solicitor I should have been able to.

After our interviews I was told this would be resolved within the next week. As a crew we were then told it was mandatory to attend a crew meeting on the 19th April for us to be updated on the progress of the investigation and provide the opportunity for feedback.

within the meeting we were talked down, laughed at by a highly paid Inclusion & Diversity Manager for the RNLI on points we were trying to raise and in my opinion completely disrespected for the volunteer role we do.

On the 24th of April I was then asked to attend a hearing meeting for the 30th of April. I had to take a day off work to attend this meeting.

I was accused of being threatening and abusive towards a member of staff at the meeting held on the 19th of April which is completely false and I haven’t received an apology for and my impression was there for me to beg to stay on the crew.

The next day I was contacted by the Hearing Manager and was sacked/stood down on the telephone, that conversation lasted less than 60 seconds. Since then we have had a huge media reaction and the RNLI have released several press releases making myself out in a extremely bad light.

I feel that the punishment doesn’t reflect the situation – the mug wasn’t intended to be kept on Station. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time but it seems the RNLI don’t give second chances. I have been a dedicated volunteer and feel I have been made an example of.

All of this has cost the institution thousand of pounds which is money supposed to be used to save lives at sea. Many of you will have seen in the Daily Mail the recent recruitment advertisement for a Safeguard Officer with a £40,000+ a year salary another just small example of the spending with the RNLI.

If you give money to the RNLI and you don’t request it to been reserved for a particular station then it’s placed in the central pot and will be used to to investigate crew members throughout the county just a few being St Helier, Scarborough, Arbroath, Whitby, Bridlington, Filey, Cleethorpes and New Brighton.

Designate the funds to your local station. But unfortunately today I received the news on my appeal and that the decision to stand me down has been upheld. Anybody that’s knows me will know that I am Lifeboat through and through and today’s news is devastating. Whitby 21 signing off.

The RNLI have released a statement to Police Hour RNLI Statement 

“Following a fair and robust investigation and appeal process, we have upheld our decision to stand down two crew members from Whitby RNLI.

“Volunteers are entitled to appeal against our decisions and each case is considered on an individual basis. In this case, no new evidence was presented to us and we stand by our original decision.

“We recognise the years of dedication it takes to become a crew member and do not stand volunteers down lightly. But, like any emergency service, the RNLI sets high standards and expects all its volunteers and staff to set an example, not just in terms of their maritime expertise but also in their behaviour and respect for others.

“One volunteer was stood down for social media activity which targeted a member of RNLI staff without their knowledge and produced graphic sexual images which went far beyond banter.

“The other volunteer produced a hardcore pornographic image of a fellow crew member on a mug. Some newspapers created their own image of a mug, but the actual image produced by the volunteer was so graphic that no newspaper would be able to print it without breaking the law.

“We will continue to challenge any inappropriate behaviours and practices by staff or volunteers, and we do this for the thousands of volunteers who are committed to doing the right thing as they operate our 238 lifeboat stations 24/7.

“The remaining volunteer crew at Whitby are working closely with the RNLI to operate an effective lifesaving operation at Whitby lifeboat station. We would ask the local community to continue to support our volunteers, in what has been a challenging time, as they remain dedicated to saving lives on the Yorkshire coast.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Kingsbury Shooting three taken to hospital

Published

on

Three people have been injured following a shooting outside of a busy London Tube Station.

Daily violent headlines about london’s out of control bloodbath are hitting the headlines.

Emergency services rushed to the incident on Kingsbury High Road, Brent at around 9:45pm.

The incident is not terror related and is being treat as a gang related incident.

Twitter was flooded with reports and images of a shooting at the location.

No arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police and London Ambulance Service were alerted at around 2145hrs on Monday, 20 August, to reports of shots fired in Kingsbury Road, NW9.

“Officers from Brent attended the location along with London Ambulance Service.

London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 9.43 to reports of an incident on Kingsbury Road.

“We dispatched a number of resources including the London Air Ambulance by road.

“Three patients were found at the scene and they were taken to hospital.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Rude note left on Ambulance while paramedics deal with an emergency

Published

on

Paramedics have returned to their Ambulance to find a rude note on the windscreen claiming they waited 45 minutes for their drive to be unblocked.

If you need to leave your house urgently please come and knock on the door of the house where the emergency is happening, and if we can we will move the Ambulance.

Have you been angered by an emergency service vehicle blocking your drive?

The Paramedics returned to their ambulance in Leicester and were urged to “have some consideration when parking?

Surely that is the last thing going through a Paramedics mind dealing with a 999 call out, oh let’s wait a moment while we park this Ambulance more considerately while someone is laid moments from death on the floor when minutes matter in a life or death situation.

Paramedics dealing with an emergency in Leicester were left a note urging them to “have some consideration” about their parking.

The note “Please have some consideration where you park the ambulance!” the note said. “This is not the first time.”

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust criticised the “rude” note and said the crew parked as “considerately as possible” in the early hours of the morning.

Lee Brentnall, paramedic and ambulance operations manager for Leicestershire, said: “It is so disappointing to see that a rude note has yet again been left on one of our ambulances.

“This upsets our dedicated ambulance crews when they are trying to help our patients and do their job.

“Leaving a note will not resolve the situation as we are unlikely to see it until we are leaving in the ambulance to take the patient to a hospital or to go to our next job.”

Mr Brentnall added: “Our crews are approachable. If you genuinely need to leave your house urgently and we are blocking your access, please come and knock on the door where the emergency is taking place.

“Sometimes we will be able to move the vehicle, for example, if we are treating a patient but they do not need both of us there at the time.

What did our Twitter followers say? 

Karen Canner tweeted Police Hour saying “We moved our car and invited an ambulance to park on our drive to easier reach our neighbour who was in need and had a skip on her driveway. would anyone be angry at a person having a medical emergency being helped? i just don’t get it.”

Silent Running said I cannot understand the mentality of people complaining, i’m sure they’d be all for it if they were the ones being saved, the selfish, non-empathetic bastards

You can block my entrance or back passage anytime

Rachel said “Erm yeah no I havnt and wouldn’t even if my car was stuck I’d wait they’d not do it unless they had no choice”

Well to be fair what kind of person would actually be angered by an ambulance blocking them in, Have we really lost the basic ability to communicate.

 

 

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Man hunt as women attacked by stranger in London believed to be suffering mental health crisis

Published

on

Update: Arrested on suspension of attempted murder.

Police urgently want to speak to Joe Xuereb who is wanted after a stranger attacked two women, they are both fighting for their life.

Joe Xuereb must not be approached he is highly dangerous, after an unprovoked random attack on two women in the street.

The two women are fighting for their lives after being attacked in the street by a stranger, and Joe Xuereb is currently a suspect and wanted by police in relation to the incident.

Xuereb is believed to have been suffering from serious mental health issues and members of the public should not approach him he is aged 27 and from Greenwich, southeast London.

The women were targeted in a “horrific” attack in Adderley Gardens in Greenwich on Sunday.

Officers were called at 12.10pm to find the victims, aged 30 and 64, suffering from injuries “consistent with a violent assault”.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending