21.7 C
Monday, July 4, 2022

Alfie Evans has been breathing unassisted for 11 hours after life support switched off

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Tom Evans the father of 23-month-old Alfie Evans has confirmed 11 hours after his sons ventilator was switched off at 9.17pm last night he is still breathing.

He has oxygen and has taken on water. He has been breathing unassisted for 11 hours,

Tom aged 21 has said that doctors are gobsmacked that the little boy is still alive this morning despite a legal battle to keep him on a ventilator.

The family lost a high court legal battle on Monday to keep Alfie on life support, after his family hoped he would be permitted to travel overseas for a possible diagnosis and treatment of his degenerative neurological condition.

Alfie’s parents have battled and failed in a high court battle to keep him on life support with doctors arguing he has been in a vegetative state for months with it being in his best interest to stop mechanical ventilation.

Tom said “Because he’s been doing it for nine hours totally unexpected, the doctors are gobsmacked and I do believe he will need some form of life-support in the next couple of hours and I think he ought to be respected and given that.”

He added: “It’s actually come to the point where his mum is asleep next to him. She can actually go to sleep next to him. She feels comfortable with him.”

A hopeful Tom said that it had only taken a few minutes to realise that Alfie was breathing on his own after being taken off life-support last night.

He said: “They say Alfie is suffering. Well look at him now. He’s not even on a ventilator and he’s not suffering.”

Tom then wrote on Facebook: “I fought hard in court for my son because I know what’s right!! And look where we are now my son is still ALIVE AFTER OVER 10 horrendous scary heartbreaking hours.”

The family later shared an update on social media, writing: “Alfie has been breathing for himself for 11 hours!!! He is getting water and oxygen!!!!! Proving these doctors wrong!!!!”

It comes after Tom said he had sat down with doctors overnight, with medics agreeing that the little boy would receive oxygen and water after realising the tot was still fighting.

He said: “They left him for six hours without food, water and oxygen.

“I felt blessed when they confirmed they were going to give him his water and his oxygen

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood is the editor and news reporter covering national and international news crime and policing news. Tweet your news and views to @TrevSherwoodPH

Latest news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Related news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]