Connect with us

News

Police Scotland Chief walks following misconduct allegations

Published

on

Phil Gormley The Chief Constable of Police Scotland has resigned from his post with immediate effect having faced allegations of misconduct.

The Chief has been on special leave since September amid an ongoing investigation against him relating to gross misconduct.

Scottish Police Authority confirmed his resignation and in a statement on its website, said: “Chief Constable Gormley requested a leave of absence in September 2017 to facilitate ongoing investigations into allegations made about him, which he denies.

“It has become clear to Chief Constable Gormley that irrespective of the outcome of the ongoing investigations he will not be able to resume his operational role in Police Scotland in a meaningful way, and the ongoing disciplinary process may take some time to complete.

“He has therefore decided to step down and end his contract 10 months early in the interests of the office of the Chief Constable and to allow Police Scotland to move forward with their agenda and strategy which he previously set in motion.

“The independent Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (Pirc) had received five misconduct referrals about the chief constable from the SPA over the past six months.”

Mr Gormley said: “The last eight months have been difficult for me and my family, in particular I would like to thank my wife for her love and loyalty.

“The events since November 2017 have led me to the conclusion that it is impossible for me to resume my duties in a meaningful way prior to the end of my contract.

“I now need to prioritise the health and well-being of my family on whom these events have taken a significant toll.

“The support of colleagues from across the UK with whom I have served during the last 32 years has been a source of great strength.

“As chief constable of Police Scotland I have had the privilege to meet and work with some exceptional people, I wish them well for the future and it is in their interests that I feel it is right to step aside.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Man hunt as women attacked by stranger in London believed to be suffering mental health crisis

Published

on

Update: Arrested on suspension of attempted murder.

Police urgently want to speak to Joe Xuereb who is wanted after a stranger attacked two women, they are both fighting for their life.

Joe Xuereb must not be approached he is highly dangerous, after an unprovoked random attack on two women in the street.

The two women are fighting for their lives after being attacked in the street by a stranger, and Joe Xuereb is currently a suspect and wanted by police in relation to the incident.

Xuereb is believed to have been suffering from serious mental health issues and members of the public should not approach him he is aged 27 and from Greenwich, southeast London.

The women were targeted in a “horrific” attack in Adderley Gardens in Greenwich on Sunday.

Officers were called at 12.10pm to find the victims, aged 30 and 64, suffering from injuries “consistent with a violent assault”.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Dangerous prisoner fails to return after attending family funeral

Published

on

Police are appealing for help in tracing a Hollesley Bay prisoner who has absconded.

34-year-old Aaron Johnson was reported missing to police at 11.15pm  last night, Friday 17 August,.

Johnson had been granted a special purpose temporary licence to attend a funeral yesterday but failed to return to the prison as arranged. He was last seen in West London.

Johnson is serving a 9 year sentence for robbery, wounding and assault.

He is described as black, 6 feet tall, of medium build, and had a beard. He was wearing a black jacket,  blue jeans, white t-shirt and trainers.

Members of the public are advised not to approach him.

Anyone who believes they may have seen Aaron Johnson or who has any information regarding his whereabouts, is asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD 480 of 17 August.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Scott Findlay subjected young mother to harrowing sex attack & punched her while she cradled 6-week-old baby

Published

on

A MAN who raped a young mother and repeatedly punched her as she cradled a six-week-old baby in her arms has been jailed.

Scott Findlay subjected his victim to a “prolonged and harrowing” attack in front of her two young children.

Today, at York Crown Court, Judge Simon Hickey sent the 27-year-old, from Ferryhill, in County Durham, to prison for 15 years for offences including rape, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and threats to kill.

The court heard that the victim pleaded with Findlay, who was armed with a kitchen knife, for her children to be prevented from seeing the attack.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Constable Katrina Meisuria, of Durham Constabulary’s Safeguarding Unit, praised the victim for her courage in giving evidence.

She said: “Scott Findlay subjected his victim to a prolonged, harrowing and violent attack in front of her two young children.

“It took great bravery by the victim to provide evidence at court reliving those events again.

“There is no doubt these crimes have had a life-changing effect on the victim and her children, but the conviction will provide the family with the opportunity to move forward”.

In a statement released through the police, the victim said: “This has been an extremely difficult time for me and my family.

“The incidents occurred only six weeks after the birth of my daughter who was in my arms as Scott Finlay repeatedly punched me about the head and my seven-year-old looked on in terror begging for him to stop hurting his mammy.

“No child should ever have to witness such an attack”.

She added: “My family and I are pleased with the outcome and relieved it is finally over and we can move forward to rebuilding our life”.

After a four-day trial at Durham Crown Court in May, a jury found Findlay guilty of three counts of rape, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of making threats to kill.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and criminal damage.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending