Connect with us

News

Hero farmer helped catch paedophile shares his pride after helping police

Published

on

A hero farmer who helped put a paedophile behind bars for ten years has spoken of his pride at being able to help police secure a conviction.

Trampoline coach Louis Murray, 22, has been sent to prison for ten years after previously admitting a string of child sex offences.

He taught hundreds of children at his trampoline club in Newcastle which is where he met his teenage victim.

But he was caught in a car with the youngster after driving to the remote Northumberland village of Belsay to engage in sexual activity.

Farmer George Common, 59, was checking on his livestock when he found the steamed-up vehicle parked in a lay-by.

He initially thought the occupant was trying to commit suicide by pumping his vehicle with fumes from his engine.

Mr Common leapt into action to try and rescue the occupant but then found Murray engaging in sexual activity with the teenage boy.

He tried to block the vehicle in with his Land Rover at which point Murray rammed the vehicle and fled the area. Police were able to trace his car and he was later arrested.

Murray was eventually charged with two counts of rape, four counts of sexual activity in presence of a child and four counts of sexual activity with a child.

The trampoline coach, of Blakelaw, Newcastle, admitted the charges at a previous hearing and he was jailed for ten years by a judge at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday.

Following the case, Superintendent Andy Huddleston paid tribute to Mr Commons for taking action and helping police put a predatory paedophile behind bars.

He said: “Louis Murray was a predatory paedophile who abused his position of trust to befriend and groom a young boy. I am glad that his behaviour has been uncovered and he is now facing a lengthy stint behind bars.

“If it wasn’t for the actions of George Commons that day then Murray’s victim may have been subjected to abuse for a much longer period.

“Mr Commons was quick to act when he thought someone was in trouble and did absolutely the right thing when he learnt exactly what was going on.

“It was a brave act that has undoubtedly helped prevent a young person from being harmed further.

“George continues to be a key member of our Farmwatch scheme and this case shows that our joint working with the rural community not only prevents traditional rural crime but also far more serious crime too.”

Mr Common, whose family has been farming in the region for 800 years, said that he was “proud of himself” for taking action and getting the young boy help.

He said: “I was checking some stock and saw the car parked up there. I carried on checking my stock and then when I came back the car was still there and I thought that something wasn’t right.

“I have come across a suicide attempt before where they were trying to gas themselves and I thought to myself I hope they weren’t trying to do something like that.

“So I went over to the car and I had a shock with what I saw. I looked in the window and saw Murray sitting next to a naked lad who just looked up at me.

“I just said ‘this isn’t right’ and I opened the door and attempted to grab the arm of the lad. That is when Murray drove off and rammed my car to try and leave. As he was doing it he was saying ‘sorry, I just have to go’.

“I would definitely do it again and as it turns out I am proud of what I have done. It could have saved a lot of other lads and saved him from going through anything further.

“But in many ways I am typical of a Northumberland farmer who was just looking after his patch. I have been part of FarmWatch for a while and I would always report something suspicious.

“I have been involved in the scheme from the very beginning and I have always been one for calling the police if I see something that is not right. We are a tight knit community and this shows how much it works.”

The judge ordered that Murray must sign the sex offenders’ register for life and also made him subject to an indefinite sexual harm prevention order.

He also ordered that Mr Common be paid £400 from the public purse as a token of gratitude for his actions in bringing Murray to justice.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Fancy being locked in a haunted police cell?

Published

on

Forget Halloween Fancy a spooky night of fun, locked in a haunted cell for 24 hours to raise money for charity. Then we have an event that is right up your street.

Following on from the success of the PC Edward Walker Tour, Jules Berry a DDO with the Met Police is back with her spooky haunted cell idea to raise money for COPS UK and WMP History Museum, That is exactly what you can do this Feb.

Met Police Detention Officer Jules Berry is arranging the whole event in partnership with the WMP History Museum and is hoping to raise thousands of pounds for charity.

The event will take place on the 8th and 9th of February 2019, but be quick as places are limited.

Unfortunately, Police Hour will no longer be live streaming this event to our 2.5 Million Followers, But we hope our readers can still attend and support this event.

Need we say any more, Simply watch this video then sign up

Hats off to Kerry Blakeman for his fantastic advertorial.

The event is being held to support the restoration of the West Midlands Police Museum and COPS UK.

About COPS

COPS is the UK charity dedicated to helping the families of police officers who have lost their lives in relation to their duty, to rebuild their lives.

Since being founded in 2003, they have helped hundreds of families shattered by the loss of their police officer.

They aim to ensure that surviving family members have all the help they need

to cope with such a tragedy and they remain part of the police family.

What COPS do?

COPS is a peer support charity, enabling Survivors from around the UK to support other Survivors in practical ways. They arrange local and national events that enable Survivors to build friendships and bonds that support them through the good times and bad.

Families are rightly proud of their officer and COPS to help ensure that they remain part of the police family.

What about the WMP History?

The West Midlands Police Museum at Coventry was opened in 1959 and celebrates the history of Coventry City Police which existed between 1839 & 1969, before becoming part of Warwickshire and Coventry Constabulary and in 1974, West Midlands Police.

The site at Sparkhill has been operating since 1995 when it moved there from the force’s training facility at Tally Ho! where it been operating as a CID training facility since the mid 1970s. Several of the exhibits had originated from the old Forensic Science Service laboratory when it moved from Newton Street to Gooch Street.

The Sparkhill museum contains items of policing memorabilia and old records from the West Midlands Police predecessor forces of Birmingham City Police, Walsall Borough Police, Dudley Borough Police, Wolverhampton Borough Police and West Midlands Constabulary. Some records are also held of Staffordshire County Police and Worcestershire officers as parts of those forces now fall within the West Midlands Police area.

You can also drop an email [email protected] to sign up, you must raise a minimum of £250 sponsorship.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

What on earth is happening in Salisbury? Two people fall seriously ill

Published

on

Emergency Services have launched a major incident after two people have fallen ill in Salisbury.

Officers have placed a cordon around Prezzo Restaurant after a man and woman were taken ill.

Police have declared a major incident. Police do not believe this is linked to Novichok.

Police received a call from the ambulance service to Prezzo restaurant, in High Street, at approximately 6.45pm. Two people, a man aged in his 40s and a woman aged in her 30s, had become unwell.

Due to recent events in the city and concerns that the pair had been exposed to an unknown substance, a highly precautionary approach was taken by all emergency services.

Both were taken to Salisbury District Hospital and were clinically assessed. We can now confirm that there is nothing to suggest that Novichok is the substance. Both people remain in hospital under observation.

The major incident status has now been stood down.

At this stage it is not yet clear if a crime has been committed and enquiries remain ongoing.

Salisbury District Hospital remains open as usual.

A cordon will remain in place around Prezzo at this time as part of ongoing routine enquiries. All other areas that were cordoned off will now be reopened.

We’d like to thank the public for their patience as a result of the impact of this incident.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Homeless man covered in red spray paint found dead in cemetery days later

Published

on

Police say they are not linking the incidents together despite a vile video being uploaded to Facebook just days before.

Sick thugs covered the homeless man in red paint as he sat outside a supermarket, the attack was uploaded to facebook along with the the words : ‘This is how we deal with the beggars on the street. He is not even a beggar we spray them to death”.

Days later he was found dead, Police say these circumstances are non-suspicious.

The shocking video was shared on Facebook of Micheal Cash outside of Tesco Express in Normanby.

Despite Cash being found dead days later police refuse to link the death to this incident after his body was found in Eston Cemetery in Middlesbrough on Wednesday afternoon.

Crime Scene Investigators could be seen in the bushes within the cemetery and quickly put a cordon in place.

It has been speculated that Cash killed himself following the incident, but until circumstances are known we will not be able to speculate.

Police have confirmed the death is not suspicious there it is our assumption the circumstances around the death are no longer being investigated.

Police have not formally identified the body but a member of Mr Cash’s family confirmed they were visited by detectives on Wednesday.

Police have asked people not to speculate on social media regarding the incident.

Cleveland Police have released a statement saying “The death of a man whose body was found in Eston Cemetery on Wednesday 12th September is not being treated as suspicious.

“The man who is believed to be aged in his 30s has not yet been formally identified.

“A post-mortem examination has been held and although the death is not being treated as suspicious police believe this man was the victim of a previous incident of assault which resulted in the man being sprayed with red paint.

“The incident occurred near to Tesco Express on the High Street in Normanby and was reported to police on Sunday 9th September.”

Detective Inspector Matt Hollingsworth said: “Police are aware of the speculation on social media regarding the cause of the man’s death but we are not linking the assault with his death.

“Officers are carrying out enquiries in relation to the assault outside of Tesco and would appeal for anyone with information or anyone who witnessed it to contact Cleveland Police on the non-emergency number 101 quoting 166668, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or www.crimestoppers-uk.org.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending