18.8 C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022

RNLI & Coastguard launch major search to save kayaker off St Bees

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

A major sea search was launched involving five RNLI boats after a kayaker capsized in choppy seas off St Bees Cumbria.

The kayaker was located and plucked from the sea by helicopter.

The major rescue involved five RNLI boats from St Bees, Workington, Barrow, Douglas and Ramsey as well as the Maryport Inshore Rescue boat and the coast guard helicopter.

The incident happened at 9.25am this morning when volunteer lifeboat crew received a pager messages and scrambled to base.

Terry Hartley from Colne in Lancashire got into trouble attempting to cross St Bees to the Isle of Man.

It took two hours for the Coastguard helicopter to spot him and winch him to safety.

The man, Terry Hartley from Colne in Lancashire, had got into trouble during an attempt to cross from St Bees to the Isle of Man.

He was taken by the helicopter to Workington RNLI’s lifeboat station but was uninjured in the incident.

Mr Hartley said he had been training in his kayak and had been planning the solo trip for several months.

But about two hours into his attempt, he said that a freak 10-foot wave had swamped his boat.

After 40 minutes trying to get the boat to right itself, he realised he needed help but found that he didn’t have the means to call for rescue.

It was only by chance that he got a brief signal on his mobile phone enabling him to contact the coast guard.

He said he was doing the 33-mile crossing as an adventure and has vowed to attempt it again.

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood is the editor and news reporter covering national and international news crime and policing news. Tweet your news and views to @TrevSherwoodPH

Latest news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Related news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]