10.6 C
Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Buckingham Palace. Thank You to the officers who put themself in danager to protect others

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

A man has been arrested outside of Buckingham Palace after three police officers were attacked with a sword after their police van was rammed.

Police are now treating the incident as a terror related investigation. 

What we do know is these officers have put themselfs in danger to protect others.

No one expects to go to work and end up injured, thankfully these officers are safe and will see their families tonight. We would like to say Thank You for your amazing level of bravery shown this evening.

What you have done has possibily prevented others from coming to harm, Thank you.

We’d also like to spare a thought for all of the other officers, ambulance staff, fire fighters and NHS staff working this evening to ensure we are safe.

The incident unfolded at 8.30PM on Friday evening when the offender was in possession of what is being desribed as a sword or a knife.

The Metropolitan Police posted on Twitter: “Officers are on scene at the Mall o/s Buckingham Palace. A man has been arrested on suspicion of GBH and assault on police.

“Two police officers suffered minor injuries during the course of detaining the man.

“No other persons have been reported injured. Officers remain on scene and enquiries are ongoing.”

Police immeditely deployed to the scene in large numbers, but thankfully the offender was very quickly arrested by the two officers who were attacked.

Full details of the incident 

Just after 8.30pm, a car deliberately drove at a police van and stopped in front of it in a restricted area on Constitution Hill near Buckingham Palace.

The officers, who were unarmed police constables and from Westminster borough, got out of the van and approached the car, a blue Toyota Prius.
As they challenged the driver, who was the only occupant in the car, he reached for what we now know to be a four-foot sword which was in the front passenger foot well.
The officers acted very quickly to detain him. During a struggle the three officers sustained minor injuries. The man, who repeatedly shouted Allahu Akbar, was incapacitated with CS spray.
Two of the officers were taken by ambulance to hospital with minor cuts and discharged a short time later. The third officer did not require hospital treatment.
The man, who is aged 26 and from the Luton area, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and assault on police. 
He was further arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000 and detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command are now leading the investigation

We will release further updates please follow@PoliceHour on Twitter update info.

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood is the editor and news reporter covering national and international news crime and policing news. Tweet your news and views to @TrevSherwoodPH

Latest news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Related news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]