18 C
Sunday, July 3, 2022

Terminally ill Charlie Gard sadly​ dies in hospice

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

It is with great sadness we announce the death of Charlie Gard, aged 11 months. He has sadly died following a battle with a rare genetic disease.

We would like to send our thoughts to Connie Yates and Chris Gard.

Charlie was born a healthy baby on 4th August last year, Charlie then developed a rare genetic disease which became terminal.


He gained the support of The Pope and US President Donald Trump who both offered to help Charlie.

The Courts within the UK blocked a move to allow the treatment in the United States by agreeing with Doctors that keeping him on life support was not in the baby’s best interest.

His mother and father did not agree with this and raised 1.3 Million to pay for his treatment in the US and fought a high-profile legal battle on 24th July.

Yesterday it was agreed by a High Court Judge has decided on the exact details of how Charlie Gard’s life will be ended.

After all hope of experimental treatment faded due to the missed window of opportunity, a Judge has now denied the family their last wishes to spend a number of days with Charlie at home.

It has been decided that Charlie will die very quickly after being moved to a hospice and having his life-saving treatment withdrawn which has been approved by a High Court Judge.

Mr Justice Framcis approved a timetable that will govern the final moments of Charlie’s life who is not expected to reach his first Birthday.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates parents of Charlie disagreed with doctors from Great Ormond Street Hospital over how long he should now receive his life-support treatment for.

Medics believe he should be moved to a hospice within days and then shortly after his arrival life-support treatment should end.

His Parents after focusing their time on a long legal battle want to be able to spend some time with him and believe his life-support should be extended for 2 to 3 days.

Great Ormond Street said it deeply regrets “that profound and heartfelt differences” between Charlie’s doctors and his parents “have had to be played out in court over such a protracted period”.

Ms Yates said that the hospital had “denied us our final wish”.

Our thoughts are with Chris and Connie at this extremely difficult time.

Their final wish of spending just two more days with Charlie was declined and the machine was sadly turned off today.


- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood is the editor and news reporter covering national and international news crime and policing news. Tweet your news and views to @TrevSherwoodPH

Latest news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Related news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]