Connect with us

Teesside

Warning Beko Fire risk warning for thousands of appliances

Published

on

Beko says stop using tumble dryers immediately and disconnect it from the wall as a precaution as thousands of Beko tumble dryers could be at risk of fire because of an overheating fault.

Beko has issued a safety alert for 3,450 of its machines impacting five models after a mum of two was killed in a blaze.

Mishell Moloney aged 49 tragically died last year after being overcome by smoke and fumes from a fire caused by her Beko tumble dryer overheated.

Beko has released a statement saying: “Moloney’s death was a tragic and isolated incident.

“As stated by the coroner at the inquest, the source of the fire within the tumble dryer was most likely the printed control board.

“The component in this repair programme was excluded by forensics experts as the cause so is therefore unrelated.”

Models affected:

  • Beko and Blomberg 8kg and 9kg capacity dryers
  • Manufactured between May and November 2012
  • Model numbers: DCU9330W, DCU9330R, DCU8230, DSC85W and TKF8439A

The safety notice warns anyone who owns one of the machines to stop using it immediately and disconnect it from the wall as a precaution.

Beko is now offering a free-of-charge home visit to modify the affected models.

The manufacturer said: “As a responsible manufacturer, we have decided to proactively contact the owners of these condenser tumble dryers to offer a free of charge in-home check and to modify affected products to remove any potential risk.

“This is completely free of charge and will take no longer than 30 minutes.”

“We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this causes you and we want to reassure you that we are doing our very best to resolve this matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.”

Beko has asked consumers to check the model and a serial number of their dryer on its website and, if affected, to register for an engineer to check and if necessary repair the machine.

“We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this causes you and we want to reassure you that we are doing our very best to resolve this matter as quickly and efficiently as possible.”

A coroner ruled that a Beko DSC85W model caused the blaze which tragically killed Ms Moloney

Customers can call free phone number 0800 917 2018 or 1800 25 29 25 in Ireland between 8.00am and 8.00pm Monday to Friday or 10.00am and 4.00pm Saturday and Sunday.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Update: Hartlepool School Children warned to be vigilant

Published

on

A School in Hartlepool has today warned parents and school children to be vigilant following a suspicious incident at the school fence.

Eldon Grove Academy sent a message to parents warning that whilst children were in the playground at lunch time a man approached the fence and spoke to one of the children.

It’s reported that the man approached and offered children ice lollies at Ward Jackson Primary School in Hartlepool.

While someone in a red Volvo was driving suspiciously when a member of staff approached the car drove away erratically.

A spokesman for Ward Jackson Primary School has told Police Hour “Yesterday lunchtime a man tried to engage in conversation with a pupil who was securely inside the school perimeter fence.

“The safety of our pupils and community is paramount and we immediately notified the police and have notified our parents and urged them to be vigilant.”

 

A spokesman for Hartlepool Borough Council told Police Hour: “The safety of children in Hartlepool is our top priority, and as soon as the school made us aware, we notified our other schools as a precaution.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Hartlepool School Children warned to be vigilant

Published

on

A School in Hartlepool has today warned parents and school children to be vigilant following a suspicious incident at the school fence.

Eldon Grove Academy sent a message to parents warning that whilst children were in the playground at lunch time a man approached the fence and spoke to one of the children.

It’s reported that the man approached and offered children ice lollies at Greatham Church of England School in Hartlepool.

While someone in a red Volvo was driving suspiciously when a member of staff approached the car drove away erratically.

Greatham Church of England School in Hartlepool also warned parents “We have been notified that a man has approached a local school offering children an ice lolly, please stay vigilant.”

Cleveland Police have not commented on the incident.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Naked runner who terrified over 40 women caught by discarded till receipt

Published

on

A NAKED runner who targeted dozens of young women has been caught after determined beat officers used a discarded shopping receipt to track him down.

Over the last few weeks, the serial flasher has been targeting women on the riverbanks in Durham City.

But a discarded till receipt for a packet of Haribo found at the scene eventually helped officers trace an 18-year-old suspect, who was arrested and has now admitted his guilt.

Since April, around a dozen women reported that a man, naked except for his running shoes, had been seen on the riverside footpaths between Durham Rowing Club and the Maiden Castle sports complex.

Police believed that he was waiting for lone women, many of them joggers using the popular riverside routes, before emerging from his hidden vantage point and indecently exposing himself.

Although a dozen women, aged from their late teens to their 40s, reported the flasher, police believe there may have been many more incidents which went unreported.

Durham City Police carried out a series of operations, including plain clothes patrols in which female officers posed as joggers to lure the suspect out.

But the breakthrough came when one of the tenacious officers found a place on the parapet of a disused railway bridge which the culprit used to spot his victims coming.

An empty sweet packet and shop receipt found nearby allowed officers to scour CCTV footage from the store and pinpoint the moment that the sweets were bought, giving them an image of a suspect which matched the description given by the victims.

Officers were then able to trace the suspect to a city centre address, where he was arrested and admitted all the offences.

The man has since been admitted to Checkpoint, a four-month intervention programme to deal with his behaviour.

Sergeant Kay Howarth, of Durham City Police, said: “This was quite an unusual case because the riverside in Durham is usually such a safe place and is visited by families all the time, which made us all the more determined to catch him.

“It must have been very alarming for these women to have a stranger jump out at them while they were simply out enjoying a run.

“We would like to thank all those who rang in to report this man and for all those local runners who helped with our investigation.

“Our officers were determined to find this man and we will continue to work to make sure Durham is a safe place for everyone”.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending