Connect with us

News

Police shut down Hardwick Moto-X motocross event after rider killed

Published

on

Police have been forced to close down a quad and motocross event at Low Hardwick Farm, near Sedgefield after one rider was killed and another seriously injured in two separate incidents.

The first happened shortly after 1pm today, Sunday 30th April and involved a male rider who came off his bike and suffered critical injuries. He was taken by the Great North Air Ambulance to the James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough but was confirmed dead shortly after arrival.A second rider was then hurt in a separate incident which happened just before 2.10pm. The female rider, who is thought to be in her early thirties was also taken by air ambulance to the James Cook with what are believed to be serious injuries.

A second rider was then hurt in a separate incident which happened just before 2.10pm. The female rider, who is thought to be in her early thirties was also taken by air ambulance to the James Cook with what are believed to be serious injuries.


Police therefore took the decision on safety grounds to close down the privately-run event, which involved around 100 participants and 300 spectators.Supt Mick Bird said; “We are understand the formal investigation is likely to be led by the local authority but we are carrying out initial enquiries into the circumstances. With two very serious incidents within little more than an hour, we felt there was little choice but to bring the event to a close.”

Supt Mick Bird said; “We are understand the formal investigation is likely to be led by the local authority but we are carrying out initial enquiries into the circumstances. With two very serious incidents within little more than an hour, we felt there was little choice but to bring the event to a close.”The investigation is not being led by Health and Safety Executive as the incidents did not happen in a location which comes under their remit.

The investigation is not being led by Health and Safety Executive as the incidents did not happen in a location which comes under their remit

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Dangerous prisoner fails to return after attending family funeral

Published

on

Police are appealing for help in tracing a Hollesley Bay prisoner who has absconded.

34-year-old Aaron Johnson was reported missing to police at 11.15pm  last night, Friday 17 August,.

Johnson had been granted a special purpose temporary licence to attend a funeral yesterday but failed to return to the prison as arranged. He was last seen in West London.

Johnson is serving a 9 year sentence for robbery, wounding and assault.

He is described as black, 6 feet tall, of medium build, and had a beard. He was wearing a black jacket,  blue jeans, white t-shirt and trainers.

Members of the public are advised not to approach him.

Anyone who believes they may have seen Aaron Johnson or who has any information regarding his whereabouts, is asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101 quoting CAD 480 of 17 August.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Scott Findlay subjected young mother to harrowing sex attack & punched her while she cradled 6-week-old baby

Published

on

A MAN who raped a young mother and repeatedly punched her as she cradled a six-week-old baby in her arms has been jailed.

Scott Findlay subjected his victim to a “prolonged and harrowing” attack in front of her two young children.

Today, at York Crown Court, Judge Simon Hickey sent the 27-year-old, from Ferryhill, in County Durham, to prison for 15 years for offences including rape, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and threats to kill.

The court heard that the victim pleaded with Findlay, who was armed with a kitchen knife, for her children to be prevented from seeing the attack.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Constable Katrina Meisuria, of Durham Constabulary’s Safeguarding Unit, praised the victim for her courage in giving evidence.

She said: “Scott Findlay subjected his victim to a prolonged, harrowing and violent attack in front of her two young children.

“It took great bravery by the victim to provide evidence at court reliving those events again.

“There is no doubt these crimes have had a life-changing effect on the victim and her children, but the conviction will provide the family with the opportunity to move forward”.

In a statement released through the police, the victim said: “This has been an extremely difficult time for me and my family.

“The incidents occurred only six weeks after the birth of my daughter who was in my arms as Scott Finlay repeatedly punched me about the head and my seven-year-old looked on in terror begging for him to stop hurting his mammy.

“No child should ever have to witness such an attack”.

She added: “My family and I are pleased with the outcome and relieved it is finally over and we can move forward to rebuilding our life”.

After a four-day trial at Durham Crown Court in May, a jury found Findlay guilty of three counts of rape, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of making threats to kill.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and criminal damage.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Man attacked staff with a traffic cone at petrol station

Published

on

Police are appealing for information after a man was assaulted with a traffic cone at a petrol station in Newcastle.

At around 12.05pm on Monday afternoon police received a report that a staff member at the Shell garage on the Great North Road in Gosforth had been assaulted with a traffic cone.

The male offender had filled up a motorcycle with fuel but was challenged by staff when it appeared that he would not pay for the fuel.

He became aggressive and then assaulted the staff member with a traffic cone before fleeing the scene on foot in the direction of The Three Mile Inn.

The victim of the assault was later taken to hospital with a suspected broken nose and cheekbone. It is also believed the motorcycle the offender left at the garage was stolen.

Enquiries into the incident are ongoing and police are now appealing for help from the public to identify the offender.

He is described as wearing all black with a white motorcycle helmet that had the visor down.

Officers also want to speak to any witnesses to the incident as there were a number of people on the garage forecourt who police have still not spoken to.

They are also keen to speak to any motorists who may have dash-cam footage showing the motorcycle in question.

Anyone who knows the man, or witnessed the incident on Monday, is encouraged to contact police on 101 quoting log 423 13/08/18 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

You can also email the OIC on [email protected] or report online at www.northumbria.police.uk/contact.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending