Credit: Police Hour/@PoliceHour

A Peterlee home has been completely trashed after a five-hour stand-off with an attempted murderer.

Attempted murder arrest after five hour rooftop standoff with police 1
Police spotted a driver recklessly within the Peterlee area which was driving towards pedestrians who ran out the way to avoid being hit.

He then entered an empty house within the Barloan Grove area and began trashing the house causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Attempted murder arrest after five hour rooftop standoff with police 2

The property is located a fairly affluent area of Peterlee with most houses within the area being recently built.

During the incident, the front room window of the property was destroyed and an upstairs bedroom was also damaged.

An eyewitness has told Police Hour ‘We heard lots of shouting and screaming then next thing we know someone is trying to smash the windows from inside the house, It took a lot of force”

“We were asked to stay indoors as armed police took over the street, as we watched from the windows tiles were hurled at officers dressed in riot gear on”.

It is believed there is also substantial damage to the incident of the property. Armed police deployed to the scene and arrested a 26-year-old on suspicion of attempted murder following a five-hour stand-off with police at a house in Peterlee.


Attempted murder arrest after five hour rooftop standoff with police 3
Credit: Police Hour / @PoliceHour

Initial calls to police at around 3.50pm reported a man driving a red Seat recklessly in the Little Eden area. It is believed the car was also driving towards pedestrians in the Edenhill Road area with several people reporting having to move out of the way of the vehicle.


Around ten minutes later, the man, who is local to the area, entered an empty house on Barsloan Grove, once inside the house there were suggestions he was armed a knife.

Two armed response units and specially trained negotiators were deployed to the scene along with Fire and Rescue, Ambulance Service and the Police Helicopter.

Following negotiations, the suspect, who at one point was on the roof of the house, was detained by officers at around 9.30pm and remains in custody. Damage was subsequently discovered to the inside of the property as well as significant damage to the roof.

The house will remain cordoned off for most of today while specialist teams carry out searches and forensic investigations.

Attempted murder arrest after five hour rooftop standoff with police 4
Credit: Police Hour / @PoliceHour

Detective Inspector Andy Smith, from Peterlee CID, said: “This was a very distressing incident for the residents of the area and I would like to reassure them that the people involved in this were known to each other.

“We are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident and the man in question remains in custody and is assisting us with our enquiries.”

Any witnesses are asked to call 101 quoting incident 273 of 11th April.