People are being warned to go to the kitchen and unplug their Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryers immediately because they are exploding.
Whirlpool has admitted that 5.3 million of the dryers should be turned off at the wall immediately.
The company is now offering a free modification after fire chiefs warned in October that the owners must stop using them.
One of the dryers caused a huge blaze in a tower block in London with Whirlpool initially insisting that the faulty dryers were safe to use as long as you kept an eye om them.
Various dryers made between April 2004 and September 2015 are subject to a safety notice about the fire risk, which is caused by excess fluff coming into contact with the heating element.
The Whirlpool website now states: “Trading standards confirmed, following an internal review by independent experts, that the modification programme remains the most effective way of resolving this issue. “As a result, we will continue with our efforts to provide consumers with a free of charge modification as quickly as possible.
The modification programme will continue. “If your tumble dryer is affected by this issue then you should unplug it and do not use it until the modification has taken place.”
Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.