Connect with us

News

What happened at Victoria Centre? What we know so far

Published

on

The Victoria Centre cordon has now been lifted and the area re-opened after the package deemed not to be a risk to the public.

Police had been involved in an active incident since 5pm however police appeared to upgrade the incident at 8pm after issuing advice for everyone within the area to stay away from the area and for those living within flats nearby to stay in doors as it was much safer.

Credit Twitter / Andrew Gentry ‏@andrewgentry_

Credit Twitter / Andrew Gentry ‏@andrewgentry_

They released the following advice at 8pm suggesting the incident had been upgraded.

Police haven’t really released much information apart from that a section of the Victoria Centre in Nottingham city centre was evacuated following a report of a suspicious package being found inside.

They began an evacuation at 5.15pm on Saturday 15 October, which meant a number of road closures and diversion were in place on Milton Street. Police requested that members of the public are being asked to avoid the Victoria Centre and Milton Street areas while officers respond to this incident.

Picture Credit Twitter / Andrew Gentry ‏@andrewgentry_

Picture Credit Twitter / Andrew Gentry ‏@andrewgentry_

However Police appeared to upgrade the incident at 7.40pm releasing an urgent Twitter alert people to avoid the area and remain in their flats as it would be safer.

They advised that a cordon surrounding the Victoria Centre has now been extended to include parts of Upper Parliament Street and Milton Street with a number of shops, businesses and residential properties affected.

Saying “Our officers are working alongside the management at these respective premises to keep them informed and to pass on advice at the scene.
“Residents of the flats above the Victoria Centre are being advised to remain in their properties and to await further advice from police officers and security staff at the scene.”

Chief Inspector Mark Stanley from Nottinghamshire Police said: “We appreciate that evacuating such a prominent area of Nottingham city centre on a busy Saturday afternoon will have caused disruption to a good number of people and we would like to assure those affected that the decision to evacuate such a prominent area of the city is not taken lightly.

“The safety of the public will always be our first priority whenever reports of this nature are received and we would like to thank each and every one of those affected for their patience and cooperation while the relevant authorities worked to bring this incident to a swift and safe conclusion.”

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Police searching for a missing schoolgirl have found a body in a river.

Published

on

Police had launched an appeal to find 11-year-old Ursula Keogh from Halifax, who was last seen on Monday afternoon.

Although formal identification has yet to take place, her family have been told about the discovery of the body in the River Calder at Paris Gates in Halifax.

In a statement, West Yorkshire Police said: “Inquiries will remain ongoing to determine a cause of the death, however, at this stage, it is not believed there are any suspicious circumstances.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Dad arrested after Mylee Billingham aged 8 stabbed to death

Published

on

Eight-year old Mylee Billingham was stabbed to death in her own home, Her father has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Mylee was found with serious stab injuries and rushed to Hospital, but died a short time later.

Her father Bill Billingham aged 54 is a murder suspect in the case, he has been arrested he remains in a critical condition after attempts failed to take his own life.

Police say they are not looking for anyone else in relation to the murder.

He is under a police guard after he was discovered with a stab wound to his stomach and will have to undergo surgery.

Police officers responding to a domestic incident were called to a house in Brownhills near Walsall in West Mindlands at 9.15pm on Saturday.

 

Her father uploaded a photo of Mylee to his Facebook profile just before emergency services were alerted to the tragedy.

The post was captioned with the words “Pitza on bed Iv Moo x.”

The girl was pictured on her bed smiling with two plates of pizza in front of her, Moments later she was murdered.

A post-mortem examination will take place later to establish the exact cause of Mylee’s death.

West Midlands Police said Billingham is yet to be questioned by officers due to his condition.

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Girl aged 8 who was stabbed to death named as Mylee Billingham

Published

on

A little girl who was tragically stabbed to death has been named as 8-year-old Mylee Billingham.

Police responded to a domestic related incident near Walsall and sadly discovery Mylee seriously injured.

Despite frantic efforts by police, paramedics and doctors nothing could be done to save Mylee.

Cops immediately arrested a man aged 54 in connection with her murder.

Sadly Mylee was found with life threatening injuries at a property in Brownhills, near Walsall, on Saturday night, and died a short time later in hospital.

West Midlands Police said the man was also taken to hospital with a stab wound to the stomach.

The 54-year-old man who was arrested remains in a “critical” condition and will Be question “in due course” in relation to the murder of 8 year old Mylee.

Officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with Mylee’s death.

Our thoughts are with Mylee’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending