12.6 C
Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Six Year Old Suffered catastrophic injuries resulting In his Death

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

A father has today (Thursday 30 June 2016) been jailed for six years after being found guilty of the manslaughter of his six-year-old son.

Kevin Craig Toye of St Nicholas Road, Great Yarmouth, was sentenced by Mr Justice Spencer at Norwich Crown Court following a 16-day trial.

29-year-old Toye was convicted yesterday by a jury who reached a unanimous verdict.

Sentencing Toye, Mr Justice Spencer described it as a “tragic” case adding: “You must bear responsibility…It is clear that none of the catastrophic injuries which Baylee suffered happened at birth.

“To cause those injuries you need not have shaken Baylee for more than a few seconds. You must have done it in frustration or temper. I have no doubt that you instantly regretted what you’d done.

“Only you know the truth of what happened that night.

“Your culpability, in my opinion, remains high. You destroyed his quality of life. His disability must have been a daily reminder.”

Detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) charged 29-year-old Toye with manslaughter in September 2015 in connection with the death of Baylee Varley in Ormesby in 2014.

The charge followed an incident which took place in late February 2008 when Baylee was around a month old.

At this time Baylee was taken to hospital suffering from injuries which resulted in severe brain damage and his eventual premature death in March 2014.

Baylee, who suffered brain, retinal and rib injuries, had been in the sole care of his father before being taken to hospital in 2008.

A police investigation carried out at this time was discontinued.

Following his death in 2014 a Home Office post-mortem was carried out giving the cause of death as ‘bronchopneumonia as a consequence of long term complications of head injury’.

In light of his death detectives from the joint-MIT were able to reopen the investigation resulting in the eventual charge of Toye.

Detective Constable Mike Proctor, of the joint MIT, said: “This has been an extremely tragic investigation from the very beginning, an investigation which has spanned several years and resulted in the eventual conviction of a father for the death of his own son.

“Baylee’s early death was sadly inevitable given the extent of the catastrophic injuries he suffered when only a few weeks old. Our intention throughout this investigation has been to give Baylee a voice and to seek appropriate justice for him as today’s sentence reflects.”

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood
Trevor Sherwood is the editor and news reporter covering national and international news crime and policing news. Tweet your news and views to @TrevSherwoodPH

Latest news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]

Related news

- Advertisement -[aas_zone zone_id="10449"]