Connect with us

News

How are the police using the data that your phone collects to arrest criminals? #CommsData

Published

on

Police Pay

POLICE forces are shining a light on how they use communications data to locate criminals and solve crimes.

Four forces – Durham, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Gloucestershire – are taking part in a 24-hour ‘Tweetathon’ on Thursday, June 30 to demonstrate how they are using technology to bring offenders to justice.

Under the current Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, forces can complete telecommunications checks for volume crime, such as frauds, harassments, burglaries, robberies or thefts.

Communications data is the ‘who’, ‘when’, and ‘where’ of a communication, not what is written or said. It is details of the communication – not the content.

Police forces use it at the early stages of investigations to prove or disprove where a person was, or determine who they were with or who they spoke to. This information is invaluable in proving guilt as well as innocence.

Here are some of the best Tweets so far.

Durham Police used comms data to locate suspects at the scene of a stolen van.

Data was then used to track suspect who posted incident image on victims social media profile.

Police then used comms data to trace a suspect selling counterfeit money on social media.

Burglary suspected linked to mobile phone thefts

Data used to ID suspect who had been targeting an online child

Data used to arrest suspect who is believed to have stolen X Box.

999 calls made to ex-partners address result in CPS charge

Rogue trader who defrauded elderly couple arrested as a result of comms data.

Comms Data used as evidence to show a registered sex offender was breaching his conditions.

Used to aid a burglary investigation, letting the police know when the consoles stolen were then connected to the internet.

Allowed police to trace a suspect who posted indecent images onto social media.

Police used the IP Address used to access social media to trace the address of the suspect.

 

 

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Nine-year-old boy locked in safe during game of hide and seek

Published

on

A Nine-year-old boy became trapped in a safe during a game of hide and seek at his grandfathers home in Berlin.

He had to be rescued by firefighters after he hid inside the sade. He was playing with his little brother at home in Lichterfelde, Berlin.

Believing he has found the perfect hiding place the boy went inside the unused safe and closed the door locking himself in.

The boy was playing with his little brother at the home in Lichterfelde, Berlin, when he found the ultimate hiding place.

His hiding place was eventually found but his grandfather was the only person who knew the code for the safe and he was away.

They could not get in contact with him and called for help from the local fire brigade.

They tested family birthdays for three hours in the hope they’d crack the code while pumping oxygen into the safe via a tiny crack.

As a specialist team arrived who was able to cut the safe open they managed to enter a successful six-digit code.

Firefighters say the child remained calm throughout the ordeal and was shocked but unharmed.

Berlin firefighter Thomas Kirstein said it was a happy ending and super early Christmas present.

Hopefully, he won’t be hiding in there again and in future, they’ll be keeping the door shut because this incident could have been very different.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

URGENT APPEAL: TAKES 2 seconds to Share £100K Reward to find Missing Corrie Mckeague

Published

on

Corrie Mckeague has been missing since September

We need your help to share this appeal far and wide, it only takes 2 seconds to share.

Corrie’s mum faces a second Christmas without knowing what has happened to her son or where he is.

If you know what happened to Corrie you must come forward, if you are hiding information about what has happened to Corrie.

Someone out there must know what happened to missing Corrie Mckeaue. Please share this as far and wide as possible one person out there must know what happened or where Corrie is.

We are urging you to share this appeal as far and as wide as possible. We must know what happened to Corrie and ensure those who know are brought to justice.

His mum and brothers are now facing their second Christmas without Corrie, having met his newborn baby. He has simply vanished.

A £100K reward has been offered to find missing Airman Corrie Mckeaue who has been missing since September 2016

23-year-old Corrie Disappeared after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September 2016.

Police have now finished searching a landfill site for his body and have found no trace of Corrie within the landfill.

Officers say they have “no further realistic search opportunities” at the moment.

Businessman Colin Davey has now doubled his £50K reward to £100K.

Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart shared the news of the reward on the ‘Find Corrie’ Facebook page.

She is ‘begging anyone with information’ to come forward.

“Today, Colin Davey has increased the reward for information that leads to Corrie being found to £100,000.

“I would fail miserably if I tried to find the words that describe how I feel about Colin’s generosity. We can never thank him enough.

“I would beg ANYONE who has information no matter how small they think it may be to come forward. There may be someone out there that thought that because the police were so sure Corrie was in the landfill that there information was not important so never came forward. Please do it now.

“If you have already left details with the police but feel you have not been taken seriously or ‘re contacted, please get back in touch with them and ask what they have done and if they need further information from you.

“Corrie is not in the landfill so something else has happened. It is impossible to evaporate one of these theories we have had from the start now must be what has happened. Please please help me to get as much information to the police as possible. Someone out there knows something.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Four Iraqis win damages against MoD following their treatment during invasion

Published

on

Four Iraqi Citizens have won a high court damages against the Ministry of Defence.

The case was relating to their ill treatment and unlawful detention during the invasion of Iraq.

It was heard that they were unlawfully imprisoned and ill-treated by British armed forces.

The Judge ruled that all four would be entitled to compensation under the Human Rights Act with one of those men being awarded more than £30K.

After Mr Justice Leggatt’s ruling, lawyers said the result of the four test cases could form the basis of settlement of more than 600 unresolved claims in what is known as the Iraqi Civilian Litigation.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending