Connect with us

News

CC Dave Jones Interim Chief Constable appointed at South Yorkshire Police

Published

on

South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, Dr Alan Billings, has appointed a new interim Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, until a permanent Chief Constable is recruited and appointed to the post in due course.

Dave Jones, the Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police, has assumed command of South Yorkshire Police following a joint agreement between Dr Billings and the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, Julia Mulligan.

Chief Constable Jones will take up the interim post from noon on Tuesday 3 May, and he will be based at South Yorkshire Police’s HQ in Sheffield from that time.

He will work as part of a leadership team comprising Deputy Chief Constable Dawn Copley, Assistant Chief Constable Rachel Barber and Acting Assistant Chief Constable Jason Harwin and members of the Strategic Partnership within Humberside Police.

An additional Assistant Chief Constable, Ken McIntosh, will also be seconded from North Yorkshire Police to provide interim support to Chief Constable Jones and South Yorkshire Police Chief Officer team, in particular to help coordinate the provision of support from national police agencies.

The permanent role of Chief Constable for South Yorkshire Police will be advertised in the coming weeks, with a view to making an appointment over the summer.

Once a permanent Chief Constable is in post, CC Jones will return to his substantive position at North Yorkshire Police.

Dave Jones started his policing career in 1986 with Greater Manchester Police. In 2008 he was appointed to the role of Assistant Chief Constable for Police Service Northern Ireland.

He took up the position of Chief Constable at North Yorkshire Police in 2013, where he has worked with Julia Mulligan, Police and Crime Commissioner, on a programme of service improvement and modernisation.  

Chief Constable Jones is also the National Police Chiefs’ Council lead on citizens in policing, and sits on the national Special Capabilities Board. 

During the interim appointment, North Yorkshire’s Deputy Chief Constable, Tim Madgwick, will become Temporary Chief Constable for that force. DCC Madgwick has served 28 years with North Yorkshire Police and was awarded the Queen’s Policing Medal in this year’s New Years’ honours.

Commenting on the appointment, Dr Alan Billings, Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire said:

“I welcome Chief Constable Dave Jones and I am confident that he will be able to move the force forward to a position where trust and confidence in the force can begin to be restored.

“The last week has been very turbulent for South Yorkshire Police and I am well aware of the anguish felt by the communities of South Yorkshire and police officers and police staff at the present time. I will be working closely with the Force to establish stability as soon as possible.

“I want to give reassurance to all and make it clear that I have been working very hard alongside members of my office and colleagues in the Home Office, the College of Policing and HMIC to resolve these issues as a matter of urgency.

“I am also very grateful to the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, Julia Mulligan, who has been extremely supportive and has offered the services of Chief Constable Jones to us during this very difficult period.”

Julia Mulligan, the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, said: “As Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, my first responsibility is to ensure that we have strong leadership in place for North Yorkshire Police, and I have considered that duty, alongside my responsibilities to the public, very carefully. 

“However, it is also clear that the people of South Yorkshire, its police service and the wider public and families are in real need of support and leadership, whilst the recruitment process for a permanent Chief Constable takes place. 

“Here in North Yorkshire, I have an outstanding Chief Constable in Dave Jones, who has proven to be an extremely effective leader, and has inspired confidence amongst the force and the public. I am therefore pleased to be able to respond positively to PCC Dr Alan Billings’ request for support by releasing Dave Jones to serve as Chief Constable in South Yorkshire as an interim measure. 

“In addition, over the past few days, I have also been reassured that Chief Constable Jones will have the necessary backing and resources from Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary, the Home Office, the National Police Chief’s Council and the College of Policing to assist him with his role.

“All of this is only possible due to the strength of North Yorkshire’s Chief Officer team. In particular, I have full confidence in Deputy Chief Constable Tim Madgwick, with whom I have worked very closely over the past few years. Mr Madgwick is a highly respected, experienced senior officer, and I am certain that North Yorkshire Police will be in very safe hands over the next few months.” 

Chief Constable Dave Jones said: “I joined the police service to make a difference and to keep people safe, and that will be my focus at South Yorkshire Police.

“There is no question that this is a very difficult period, both for South Yorkshire Police as an organisation, and for the communities it serves locally and further afield. 

“Nevertheless, I believe there is a strong desire – both inside and outside the police service – for the force to move forward in a positive direction. 

“With that in mind, I will work with the new Chief Officer Team over the coming months, to make sure that South Yorkshire Police makes progress until a permanent Chief Constable is appointed.

“First and foremost, I will engage with those communities both inside and outside of South Yorkshire who have been let down by the police service. I want to understand how their confidence in policing has been affected, and work with them to build it back up and restore pride back into the police service.

“It is also important that officers and police staff are supported to get on with the day job, which is to serve the public of South Yorkshire and keep people safe.

“In addition, and with the support of the Police and Crime Commissioner, I will be seeking the full support of the College of Policing, NPCC and HMIC to provide a thorough review of South Yorkshire Police. The full details of this and the Terms of Reference will be worked out in due course in partnership with South Yorkshire Police and the Police and Crime Commissioner. This will form the basis of a route-map for the incoming Chief Constable.

“I will also work alongside the Police and Crime Commissioner to seek to ensure that the service has sufficient funding and resources to tackle the issues facing the Force.

“I am not under-estimating the scale of the work ahead, but part of the reason why I have taken on this interim role is that I believe that the policing as a whole has a duty to help the service in South Yorkshire to move forward.

“It is vitally important and it is the bedrock of British policing that we have the trust and confidence of the public and if anything puts that at risk the whole of the police service needs to respond accordingly.”

Comments

comments

Trev Sherwood is the founder & blogger at the UK’s Leading Crime & Policing News. Delivering you breaking news, insightful analysis, legislation & positive news!

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Fourth child dies following blaze in Salford as Zac Bolland is charged with Murder

Published

on

A girl aged three has tragically died in hospital following a house fire in Salford

Sadly her life support machine was turned off today “my beautiful granddaughter, go find your brother & two sisters”.

Her three other siblings sadly died following the blaze.

So far six people have been arrested and two have been charged over the deaths.

Sadly Lia Pearson was injured when a blaze broke out just before 5 am Monday morning at the terraced house in Jackson Street, Walkden.

Her sister Demi Pearson aged 15 was pronounced dead at the scene and her brother Brandon and Seven-year-old sister Lacie died in hospital.

Her grandmother Sandra Lever announced the heart breaking news that Lia’s life support machine has been turned off.

She said “my beautiful granddaughter, go find your brother & two sisters”.

Their 35 year old mother Michelle Pearson is in a serious condition and is not aware that four of her children have died.

Two 16-year-old boys managed to escape the blaze.

Zak Bolland

Zac Bolland aged 23 and Courtney Brierley aged 20 have appeared in Worsley have been charged with three counts of Murder and four counts of attempted murder and one final count of arson with intent to endanger life.

Any with information on the incident should contact police 0161 856 8797, or call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Woman hit by two lorries and two cars in multiple hit and run

Published

on

 

A woman has tragically died after being hit by two lorries and two cars at a pederidain crossing in London.

The woman was struck by two lorries and two cars as she crossed at a pedestrian crossing in Tulse Hill, South London.

The woman who has not been named is believed to be in her late 20s or early 30s.

The Metropolitan Police has confirmed that the driver failed to stop at the scene and a woman was then hit by a second lorry and then hit by two cars, all four drivers failed to stop at the scene of an accident.

Paramedics rushed to the scene on Norwood Road at 6.48pm on Monday and administered emergency treatment to the woman who was sadly pronounced dead at 7.21am.

Acting Detective Sergeant Alastair Middleton of the Metropolitan police released a statement appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident to come forward.

“I am appealing for anyone who witnessed the collision and the moments afterwards to contact us. I would also urge the drivers of all four vehicles to come forward and speak with my team.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Merton on 020 8543 5157.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Two arrested on suspicion of murder following death of three children

Published

on

A 14, 8 & 7-year-old has been killed in a devastating house fire which is being treated as murder.

Cops are treating the deaths as ‘Murder’ by fire and have now arrested a 23-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman.

A three-year-old girl is also fighting for her life in hospital and her mother is in a serious condition.

Police have launched a murder inquiry after three children died in a suspected arson attack on a house in Salford.

Emergency services responded to reports of a fire at 4.58am on Jackson Street, Worsley in Greater Manchester.

Sadly Demi Pearson aged 14 was declared dead at the scene following the horrific arson attack which ripped through the house.

Another boy aged eight-year-old and a girl aged seven-year-old have also sadly died in hospital.

Michelle Pearson aged 35 the mother of all four children is also in a serious condition and is fighting for her life.

Greater Manchester Police said a manhunt was underway for a suspect and the force was “keeping an open mind” as to whether the incident was gang-related.

Chief Superintendent Wayne Miller said: “The death of these three children is heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with their loved ones and the little girl and her mum who are in hospital fighting for their lives.

“We currently have specially-trained officers with the family to help them through this devastating time.”

He called on the suspect to “give himself up”, adding that “he knows who he is”.

“This is a fast-moving live investigation and we have a major investigation team with scores of dedicated detectives working tirelessly,” he continued.

“I want to describe what this incident is; it’s the murder, using fire, of three children and we have a three-year-old girl fighting for her life who is seriously ill.

“This will devastate this family forever and words cannot describe what they are going through. We need the public’s help to find the answers the family deserve.

“We want to make arrests as soon as possible and we appeal to local people to help us in this.”

Two 16-year-old boys managed to get out of the house before fire crews could arrive. they are believed to be safe and well.

Greater Manchester Police have now referred the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission because they had been called to the address due to an “earlier incident at the address” hours before.

Jackson Street has been closed off with large steel barriers and firefighters are still monitoring hot spots within the property,

Our thoughts are with everyone who has been impacted by this devastating fire.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending