Connect with us


Nominated: Manchester Cops who tackle woman with knife #PoliceBravery



The prestigious annual Police Bravery Awards Will this year hear of two Greater Manchester Police PCs who arrested an armed woman who had broken into a house and was making threats.  

The female offender had sneaked into the house and hidden in the garage while the male occupant had taken the dog out. 

 A few hours later when the couple and their children had gone to bed, the offender came out of her hiding place and armed herself with a kitchen knife and went upstairs.

 On entering the main bedroom, the woman brandished the knife at the occupants and demanded money and possessions from them. 

During this initial confrontation the offender then ran out of the bedroom and was at large in the main part of the house allowing the occupants to ring the police.

 The officers, PC Graeme Black and PC Paul Hamer were first at the scene during the incident on 18 November, 2013.

 On arrival the officers approached thefront door where the female occupant was frantically trying to unlock itfor the officers and was clearly in a state of panic. As the officers gained entry the female occupant pointed further back into the address near to the bottom of the stairs and told officers that an unknown female was inthe house with a knife.

 At that moment the unknown female offender came down the stairs, still brandishing the knife. When she saw the officers,she immediately ran back up the stairs towards one of the bedrooms.

 The female occupant began screaming and told the officers that her children were upstairs in the bedroom that the offender had gone into the room. Without thought for themselves,the officers ran after the intruder and forced entry into the now-barricaded bedroom and challenged the offender physically.

 PC Black trained the red dot of his Taseron the offender while he and PC Hamer physically disarmed her and between them neutralised the very real threat she posed. 

 The offender appeared to be in a drug induced state and her actions were unpredictable. The officers showed great courageand bravery to tackle her in the way they did.

 Ian Hanson, chairman, Greater ManchesterPolice Federation, said: 

“The background to this incident was unknown until after the event, and goes to show how unpredictable and dangerous offenders can be and how courageous these officers were. “They demonstrated the very core of what makes a good police officer and placed the safety of the children in the bedroom above their own.”

 Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, added: 

“These remarkable officers put themselves in a vulnerable position tohelp others and remained focused and dedicated, despite facing an extremelychallenging situation. It’s a real honour for PCs Black and Hamer to havetheir courage recognised nationally and we are very proud to have themserving the communities of Greater Manchester.”




Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Meet the Hero PCSO, Paramedic and Sainsbury’s Staff who saved mum on Christmas Eve 



Earlier this week we reported the ‘Arnison Angels’ saved a mum who collapsed and stopped breathing on a Christmas shopping trip with her family has met the ‘Arnison angels’ who saved her life.

Catherine Maguire, 48, was shopping with her husband and three children on Christmas Eve at Sainsbury’s Durham’s Arnison Centre when she suddenly collapsed.

The alarm was raised by staff and first aider Janet Atkinson, a Sainsbury’s employee, came to Catherine’s aid.

She was followed by husband and wife Durham Constabulary PSCOs Debbie Sadler-Knox and Malcom Knox who happened to be patrolling in the area.

Janet and Debbie gave Catherine CPR and were joined by another Sainsbury’s employee, Lee White.

A short time later, off-duty paramedic Stephen Tate (pictured with Debbie, Catherine, her husband John and their three daughters) saw what was happening and also assisted.

As luck would have it the store had a portable defibrillator which was used on Catherine, who had suffered a heart attack.

She was then airlifted to James Cook University Hospital by the Great North Air Ambulance.

Thankfully Catherine, from Framwellgate Moor, is now recovering well from the near-death experience due to the quick actions of all involved.

She said: “I can’t thank everyone enough. From the Sainsbury’s staff to police, to the health services.

“Everyone was just fantastic and really did save my life.”

PSCO Debbie Sadler-Knox said: “When I saw what was happening, the training just kicked in and thankfully everything turned out ok.

“It is just great to see Catherine here with her family in much happier circumstances.”

Have you got a story we should be reporting then feel free to Send us a Message on the Police Hour Facebook page or Message us @PoliceHour on Twitter.



Continue Reading


Alan Horujko Hero cop saves students from brutal murder during campus attack 



A hero cop has been named as Police Officer Alan Horujko. He put others first during a knife attack at an Ohio State University.

The officer immediately responded to reports that a car had ploughed into pedestrians and began attacking people with a butcher’s knife.

Fearing mass murder Officer Horujko shot dead the attacker moments after the incident begun.

The attacked has been named as a Somali-born student at the university, 18-year-old Abdul Razak Ali Artan.

He started attacking people with a knife but was shot in less than a minute by the officer who was nearby.

It is believed  two people were being treated for stab wounds, four were injured by the car and two others were being treated for cuts, university officials said.

Police are treating the incident as a terror attack.



Continue Reading


Hero Cops save girls life of girl who wanted to kill herself



Two fast-thinking police officers have helped saved the life of a girl who text her mate saying she wanted to end her life. Officers were quickly alerted and began searching for the girl.

The officers were alerted to the incident in the early hours of November 14, when Police Constables Daryl Jones and Mark Bullock, from Southend’s Local Policing Team, were patrolling Southend.

With the clock against them, the officers began searching the area and found a girl who matched the description. She had walked four miles from her home alone after sneaking out in the middle of the night and was on her way to Southend town centre to harm herself. The pair pulled over and approached the girl cautiously.

Upon seeing the officers, the girl broke down and became upset. Daryl and Mark reassured her that they were there to help her. After calmly engaging with the girl, the officers managed to negotiate with her to get in the police car so they could get her out of the cold and talk to her.

She spoke openly with Daryl and Mark about the difficulties she had been experiencing and how she had text her friend in the hope that the friend would get help for her.

She thanked the officers for finding her so quickly and the pair reassured her that they would get her the further help she needed.

Daryl waited with her whilst Mark made a difficult call to her parents to inform them of the situation and that their daughter had not come to any harm. Her dad thanked the officers for finding his daughter so quickly and ensuring her safety.

The girl was taken to a mental health suite for assessment and her parents thanked the officers again for finding their daughter so quickly and getting her the help she needed.

Daryl said: “I’ve never seen more of a genuine reaction for help from someone than when the young girl broke down when she saw myself and Mark and knew we were there to help her.”

Mark said: “We were just fortunate that we were in the right place at the right time and were able to locate her and help her, I have no doubt if we hadn’t of found her it would have been a different outcome.”



Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter ad code here