Connect with us

News

Man convicted of flying drones illegally

Published

on

A 42-year-old man from Nottingham has, today, Tuesday, 15 September, been convicted of illegally flying drones over buildings and congested areas, in what it believed to be the first police and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) led successful prosecution of its kind in the UK.
Nigel Wilson, 42 (02.11.1972), of Rockingham Grove, Bingham, Nottingham, pleaded guilty to a total of seven offences contrary to sections 166 and 167 of the Air Navigation Order 2009, having already pleaded guilty to two offences at a previous hearing on 7 May. He was sentenced to pay a fine of £1,800 and to pay £600 in costs. A Criminal Behaviour Order was also issued, with conditions that he is not allowed to purchase, own or fly any drones nor assist any other person in using drones for the next two years.

Wilson illegally flew his unmanned ‘drone’ aircraft over various football stadia across England and buildings in central London, where he either had no direct sight of the craft, flew the craft over congested areas, or where the craft was flying within 50 metres of the buildings – all offences under the Air Navigation Order, 2009.
He flew his drone illegally over Anfield stadium in September, 2014 during a Liverpool match against Ludogorets FC, filming footage which he later posted online via a YouTube account.
During this incident, he flew the drone close to mounted officers at the match, startling the horses on a busy walkway outside the stadium. Officers struggled to regain control as the horses reared and narrowly avoided hitting members of the public walking nearby.
Wilson went on to commit similar offences, flying his drones over the iPro Stadium in Derby, the Emirates Stadium in north London, and the Etihad Stadium in Manchester at various times between September and December 2014 – all during busy match days at the stadia.
He was initially arrested by officers from Greater Manchester Police on 18 October 2014, after they’d received reports of a drone flying over the Etihad Stadium.
He was bailed, whilst officers carried out further enquiries, and when he returned on bail in January 2015, he was further arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police, who had been carrying out a joint investigation into Wilson with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), which had also been contacted about his drone-flying activity.
In addition to flying drones over crowds and stadia at various football matches, officers also discovered that Wilson had been flying drones over or near various buildings in London, including the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, HMS Belfast and the Shard.
He was questioned by detectives and was released from custody, but later summoned to appear at court in May and pleaded guilty to two offences. He appeared again at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 15 September, where he pleaded guilty to a further seven offences. No evidence was offered in relation to eight other charges.
Chief Inspector Nick Aldworth, from the Met’s Specialist Operations Command, who is the Met’s lead officer on the misuse of drones, said:
“As drones become more widely available, it’s important that anyone using this type of small aircraft understands that there are strict regulations on how and where they can be flown and that police, in partnership with the CAA, will look to prosecute anyone who does not follow these rules.
“Flying drones over congested areas or buildings can pose great risks to public safety and security and Wilson put many people in real danger. Today’s outcome should serve as a warning to anyone thinking of doing similar that they could end up in court if they ignore these regulations.”
A spokesperson for the UK Civil Aviation Authority, said:
“As this case shows, anyone flying a drone needs to understand that there are safety rules in place which have to be followed. These rules are there to protect the safety of the general public and other airspace users. It is clearly not appropriate to fly a drone over large crowds of people or close to buildings and the CAA will continue working with the police to ensure these safety rules are upheld.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Urgent appeal takes 2 seconds to share to help find missing teen from York

Published

on

Please share this picture far and wide in hope that we can bring this 13-year-old back home . It only takes one person who shares this to spot her and be that’s difference

North Yorkshire Police is urgently appealing for information to help find a missing 13-year-old girl from York.

Elise Donoghue was last seen leaving her drama class at the York Theatre Royal on St Leonard’s Place just before 8pm on 19 October.

It’s thought Elise is without money or access to a mobile phone, and she is considered vulnerable due to her age.

Police enquiries have been ongoing to locate in York where it is known she has connections in the Fulford and Danesgate areas of the city.

There is also a possibility she headed to York Railway Station and boarded a train heading towards the north-west where she has friends in the Cheshire area. British Transport Police is assisting with enquiries.

Elise is described as white, 5ft 2in tall, blonde hair with a medium build. When she was seen she was wearing a grey hooded -top, black leggings, black Ugg boots and she carrying a shoulder bag.

Anyone who knows where Elise is or have seen a girl matching her description, please call North Yorkshire Police as a matter of urgency on 101, select option 1, and speak to the Force Control Room. Please quote reference number 12170187979.

If Elise you are reading this there is help and support available simply call or text 116000 they will be able to help you free and confidential.

Anyone who is currently missing from home Missing people are here to help you whenever you are ready; they can listen, talk you through what help you need, pass a message for you and help you to be safe. Call. Text. Anytime. Free. Confidential. 116000

They are also on hand to provide support for anyone who has been recently returned home having been missing.

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Police Dog Blue finds missing vulnerable teenager hidden in woodland undergrowth

Published

on

Police Dog Blue and his handler from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire (BCH) Dog Unit found a vulnerable teenager on Wednesday (October 18).

Officers were called to an address in Friday Bridge, Cambridgeshire at around 10.45pm after concerns were raised about a teenager who had gone missing.

Due to concerns for her welfare, PD Blue and his handler were also called to assist with the search.

German Shepherd Blue was deployed and began searching the local area. Whilst going down a nearby lane, Blue led his handler into an area of woodland and undergrowth.

It was here that the pair found the missing teenager. They were then able to provide immediate care before other officers arrived to take her home.

Inspector Iain Clark, who is the head of the BCH Dog Unit, said: “The officers had numerous places to search and I am glad PD Blue and his handler were able to provide assistance, which saw the teenager safely found within a short period of time.

“I am proud of their work and this is another great example of how the BCH Dog Unit can support other officers around the three counties.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Man admitted to racially harassing security guards at Student Halls

Published

on

Police Pay

A man who admitted racially harassing security guards at student halls has been served with a Community Order and a fine.

The 22-year-old from Luton pleaded guilty to two counts of racially aggravated harassment and criminal damage at Luton Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thursday). The sentencing followed an incident in student halls in Luton on 24 September.

Hate Crime Sergeant James Hart said: “This was an unacceptable incident which was extremely distressing for the victims. We won’t tolerate hate crime in our county as everyone has the right to live free from fear or harassment.

“We hope this case will provide reassurance to victims that we take hate crime offences very seriously. Victims should not have to suffer such abuse and should feel comfortable reporting their experiences to the authorities.”

The man was handed a 12-week curfew with electronic tag and must pay £100 compensation to the victims.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter ad code here

Facebook

Trending