Connect with us

News

Woman who fell to her death from 14th floor, Boyfreind found guilty of Murder

Published

on

A man whose girlfriend fell to her death from a 14th floor window has been found guilty of murder.

David Douglas, 44 (28.09.70) of Elizabeth Blackwell House, Progress Way, Wood Green, N22 was today, Wednesday 5 August, found guilty at Southwark Crown Court of the murder of 43-year-old Dora Matthews.

He is being sentenced this afternoon.

Police were called just before 05:00hrs on 19 December 2013 following reports of an unconscious woman outside Elizabeth Blackwell House.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended but the woman – later identified as Dora Matthews – was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation was launched by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command.

Detectives discovered that Dora had visited Douglas’ flat – on the 14th floor – on 18 December 2013 and had stayed the night.

Residents told officers that they had heard the couple arguing over the course of the evening and into the early hours of the morning. Dora had been heard to shout “stop”, “let me go” and “get off me” and there was a sound similar to furniture being dragged across the floor shortly before her death.

CCTV footage showed Douglas leaving his flat at 04:56hrs and looking towards where Dora’s body was lying before walking away.

Later that day, Douglas attended Tottenham police station with a prepared statement. He was arrested in connection with the investigation and bailed pending further enquiries.

A post-mortem examination held on 20 December 2013 gave the cause of death as multiple injuries, consistent with a fall from height. It was not clear whether Dora had sustained any injuries prior to the fall.

Douglas was charged with murder on Tuesday, 17 February.

Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “I would like to thank all of our brave witnesses who supported us.

“Dora Matthews was wearing a coat and had her car keys in her hand when she was found; this clearly indicates that she had been trying to leave.

“It is clear from witness accounts that Dora was subjected to sustained verbal, physical and psychological abuse by Douglas throughout the course of their volatile five-year relationship.

“I would urge anyone who is suffering domestic abuse not to suffer in silence and to have the confidence to contact the police or a recognised charity. Dora’s family are keen that her death shines a light on abusive relationships. The abuser will always make you feel that you were in the wrong – it’s part of their psychological control – but we are here to protect you.”

The court heard that Douglas had previously been convicted five times of domestic abuse against Dora and was subject to a restraining order at the time of her death.

Dora’s daughter Bianca, 24, said: “Today is justice for my mum, Dora Matthews. She died at the hands of someone who should have made her feel safe. The murder squad and the CPS have been exceptional and it’s only through our tragedy that you realise how hard they all worked. Through one person’s actions we have been robbed of an amazing mum, grandmother and friend.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

BREAKING British and French scrambled to North Sea

Published

on

British and French jets have scrambled to the North Sea amid reports that Russian planes have entered the UK airspace.

The RAF Typhoon fighter jet is supporting Airbus Voyager plane deployed from Newcastle after 3pm today.

The French have also supported in the deployment supporting with a fighter jet.

In total four jets were seen over the North Sea on mapping.

The RAF has declined to comment on the situation describing it as an ongoing military operation.

More follows

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Fancy being locked in a haunted police cell?

Published

on

Forget Halloween Fancy a spooky night of fun, locked in a haunted cell for 24 hours to raise money for charity. Then we have an event that is right up your street.

Following on from the success of the PC Edward Walker Tour, Jules Berry a DDO with the Met Police is back with her spooky haunted cell idea to raise money for COPS UK and WMP History Museum, That is exactly what you can do this Feb.

Met Police Detention Officer Jules Berry is arranging the whole event in partnership with the WMP History Museum and is hoping to raise thousands of pounds for charity.

The event will take place on the 8th and 9th of February 2019, but be quick as places are limited.

Unfortunately, Police Hour will no longer be live streaming this event to our 2.5 Million Followers, But we hope our readers can still attend and support this event.

Need we say any more, Simply watch this video then sign up

Hats off to Kerry Blakeman for his fantastic advertorial.

The event is being held to support the restoration of the West Midlands Police Museum and COPS UK.

About COPS

COPS is the UK charity dedicated to helping the families of police officers who have lost their lives in relation to their duty, to rebuild their lives.

Since being founded in 2003, they have helped hundreds of families shattered by the loss of their police officer.

They aim to ensure that surviving family members have all the help they need

to cope with such a tragedy and they remain part of the police family.

What COPS do?

COPS is a peer support charity, enabling Survivors from around the UK to support other Survivors in practical ways. They arrange local and national events that enable Survivors to build friendships and bonds that support them through the good times and bad.

Families are rightly proud of their officer and COPS to help ensure that they remain part of the police family.

What about the WMP History?

The West Midlands Police Museum at Coventry was opened in 1959 and celebrates the history of Coventry City Police which existed between 1839 & 1969, before becoming part of Warwickshire and Coventry Constabulary and in 1974, West Midlands Police.

The site at Sparkhill has been operating since 1995 when it moved there from the force’s training facility at Tally Ho! where it been operating as a CID training facility since the mid 1970s. Several of the exhibits had originated from the old Forensic Science Service laboratory when it moved from Newton Street to Gooch Street.

The Sparkhill museum contains items of policing memorabilia and old records from the West Midlands Police predecessor forces of Birmingham City Police, Walsall Borough Police, Dudley Borough Police, Wolverhampton Borough Police and West Midlands Constabulary. Some records are also held of Staffordshire County Police and Worcestershire officers as parts of those forces now fall within the West Midlands Police area.

You can also drop an email [email protected] to sign up, you must raise a minimum of £250 sponsorship.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

What on earth is happening in Salisbury? Two people fall seriously ill

Published

on

Emergency Services have launched a major incident after two people have fallen ill in Salisbury.

Officers have placed a cordon around Prezzo Restaurant after a man and woman were taken ill.

Police have declared a major incident. Police do not believe this is linked to Novichok.

Police received a call from the ambulance service to Prezzo restaurant, in High Street, at approximately 6.45pm. Two people, a man aged in his 40s and a woman aged in her 30s, had become unwell.

Due to recent events in the city and concerns that the pair had been exposed to an unknown substance, a highly precautionary approach was taken by all emergency services.

Both were taken to Salisbury District Hospital and were clinically assessed. We can now confirm that there is nothing to suggest that Novichok is the substance. Both people remain in hospital under observation.

The major incident status has now been stood down.

At this stage it is not yet clear if a crime has been committed and enquiries remain ongoing.

Salisbury District Hospital remains open as usual.

A cordon will remain in place around Prezzo at this time as part of ongoing routine enquiries. All other areas that were cordoned off will now be reopened.

We’d like to thank the public for their patience as a result of the impact of this incident.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending