Shane Tunney Murder Investigation Police Thank Community.

Police investigating the murder of Shane Tunney are thanking the local community for their assistance so far, however, are continuing to reiterate their appeal for anyone with information to contact them.Shane died almost five weeks after an incident which left him with severe head injuries.

The incident took place on Saturday 27th June at around 2am. It began on Norton High Street outside Tesco Express when Shane and his friend, Anthony Kirk, visited the cash point when they were pelted with rotten food by a group of youths who were on the rooftop of the store. A verbal argument took place and the men walked away in the direction of Norton Road. A short time later, Shane and Anthony were confronted and then assaulted by a group of youths at the junction of Holly Street.

Officers believe that an implement was used in the attack and that the pair were kicked, stamped on and punched before the group made off through an alley next to the church, away from the High Street.

In a heroic effort to save his friend from harm, Shane had stopped a passing driver who had offered to drive him away from the scene but Shane refused as he would not leave Anthony, who was allegedly being beaten by a number of young males.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Young, said: “I would like to thank the members of the local community who have so far come forward and spoken to us, however, I believe there are still others who may have information which could greatly assist this investigation and I would urge them to call us.

“Yesterday, we issued images of an Audi as we need to speak to the driver who may have information which could help with our enquiries. I can confirm that we have had a small number of calls in relation to that vehicle and officers are following up those lines of enquiry today.
“We still need to trace a woman who called us anonymously from a phone box on 9th July. We would ask that woman to contact police again as she may have further information which could assist this investigation. Again, I will reiterate that she can speak to me directly, by calling 101, or I can call her back if she wants to leave her contact details.”  

Nine teenagers remain on police bail in connection with the incident.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Cleveland Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.