Recorded Child Sex Offences Up Across North Yorkshire, police are aware crime is under reported. 

Detective Superintendent Nigel Costello of North Yorkshire Police, said: “The increase in reported child sex offences shows that more people have confidence in the police and are coming forward to report these devastating crimes.

“However, we know that child sexual abuse is under-reported and we encourage anyone who has suffered in the past or is suffering now, to report what is happening.

“We have officers who are specially trained to investigate these very sensitive investigations and victims should not hesitate to come forward. We work with many other agencies who can provide support to help you deal with what has happened. Even if the offences happened many years ago and it may no longer be possible to take criminal action, you should still report it as you can still get support, advice and counselling that can help you move on with your life.
“Children’s safety is of paramount importance and it is everyone’s responsibility to protect them. If you are being abused, have been in the past, or suspect a child is being abused, please do not hesitate to call.

“If you don’t want to call the police, you can contact Bridge House, the York and North Yorkshire Sexual Assault Referral Centre where you can access everything under one roof in confidence and with respect and sensitivity. However, if you are in immediate danger, you should always call 999.”
To contact North Yorkshire Police, please call 101.

If you have a speech or hearing impairment you can use Textphone 18001 101 for all non-emergencies

In an emergency or if your safety is threatened, always call the police on 999.

Textphone 18000 – in an emergency