Connect with us


Brave Cops risking their lifes to save members of the public moments after grandmother beheaded.



A man who beheaded a grandmother with a machete in her own back garden has been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity by a jury at the Old Bailey.

Nicholas Salvador, 25, was sentenced to a hospital order under Section 37 of the Mental Health Act and a restriction order under Section 41 with an indefinite time limit, after appearing at court today, Tuesday, 23 June.

The court heard how Salvador, who has since been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, attacked Palmira Silva, 82 (04.03.32), with a 24-inch blade and wooden pole in the garden of her home in Nightingale Road, Edmonton.

The Metropolitan Police Service officer, who first arrived on the scene, said he knew local residents and police officers were in “mortal danger”, but the situation had to be handled to prevent further tragedy.

Enfield Inspector, Doug Skinner, said: “I knew that Salvador was armed, had already killed and that many people were in immediate danger. Nothing can fully prepare you for that type of call or the scene we encountered. 

“I immediately requested an unmarked car to move in close and track his movements. We decided we would have to remove residents before Salvador killed someone else.

“The helicopter constantly tracked Salvador jumping fences and they’d also spotted children playing in nearby gardens. We genuinely thought he would kill those children and we were filled with utter terror.

“We pulled up outside of an address close to the victim’s and smashed through the double glazed windows calling out to residents. 

“I then saw Salvador, stripped to the waist and standing in someone’s front room, armed with a blood-stained machete. I engaged him in conversation as he made stabbing motions towards me. 

“I knew I had to buy enough time for the rest of the team to get residents, especially those kids, out of the area. Officers smashed through windows to pull them all to safety before Salvador could be contained in another house.

“All units acted with extreme courage. Armed officers, unarmed officers and rookies – all working together, putting their own lives at risk to save others.”
The Old Bailey heard how Salvador, usually of Gilda Avenue, Enfield, had been staying with a male friend and his sister at an address close to his victim.
The pair both noticed his unusual behaviour on the morning of Thursday, 4 September 2014 and saw him walk into their garden with a blade and a wooden broom handle. As they moved closer to ask what he was doing they realised he was standing over the body of a decapitated cat and had blood on his hands. 
They barricaded themselves into their home as Salvador tried to get back into the house by smashing the windows.

Both fled the house to their car parked in Nightingale Road, with Salvador in close pursuit. Salvador managed to smash two of the vehicle’s windows, as the car’s engine twice stalled, before the pair could escape and alert police.

Within minutes Enfield borough officers arrived at the scene with the MPS Air Support Unit capturing the scene from above. Armed units were also immediately dispatched. 

Salvador was spotted smashing through garden fences before approaching Palmira Silva who was cooking lunch with her back door open. After a brief exchange he was seen attacking the pensioner with the wooden pole before launching his fatal attack.

Whilst guided by the overhead MPS helicopter, police officers attempted to distract Salvador and launched a courageous bid to rescue terrified local residents. Several, including young children, had to be pulled through smashed windows to get them away from the scene.

After a lengthy struggle, officers eventually contained Salvador in an empty property before he was Tasered and bought out into the street on a stretcher.

Several officers suffered serious injuries during the incident. In particular, one MPS firearms officer received treatment for a large bite to his lower leg while another sustained a broken wrist.

Commander Simon Letchford, said: “This was a horrendous and vicious attack which robbed a family of a much-loved vibrant mother and grandmother.

“On behalf of the Met I would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Palmira Silva.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the officers who dealt with the incident and faced a truly shocking scene. 

“I managed to personally speak to those who initially responded and faced a fast-moving and difficult situation. The officers did everything they could to keep people safe and clear the area. They undoubtedly put their own lives on the line to ensure there was no further loss of life that day.

“I have nothing but praise and admiration for them and we should all be grateful that we have officers who will risk their own lives to keep others safe.”
Salvador was further charged at the Old Bailey on 9 September 2014 with assault (ABH) on an police officer. 

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Awww Cleveland Police have just recruited these four legged friends



Put your paws up for our two new recruits, Maggie and Skye who are the newest and youngest additions to the Force. At just 12 weeks old, the two English Springer Spaniels will soon begin their training to become Specialist Search Dogs.

Dog Trainer Constable Darren Gobie and Police Constable Chris Lambert are the lucky handlers of the pups. PC Lambert teamed up with a year 4 class at Myton Park School in Ingleby Barwick and allowed them to choose Skye’s name.

Chris and Skye will regularly visit the school over the next 18 months to allow them to follow her training process.

Speaking of the collaboration with the school, PC Lambert said: “I thought it would be a great idea to tie in with a school in the local community.

Recruiting new dogs is a huge deal and it’s an exciting and educational opportunity for the pupils to meet a police dog, choose her name collectively as a team and to better understand the training process for police dogs, and police roles in general.

The children were delighted to participate in this and I am sure they will all build a lovely bond with Skye over the coming months.”

PC Lambert, along with partner agencies will also be using the visits to the school to deliver lessons on internet safety and safety around animals.

The officers and the dogs will need to work very closely as team throughout the training process to build a special bond together.

Training is both mentally and physically challenging for both the dogs and handlers, as every programme must be passed to qualify.

Specialist dogs are used to detect a range of things with their highly developed sense of smell such as money, explosives, drugs and firearms.

They are also trained to work in public places including licenses premises to search for people in possession of narcotics.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading


Storm Hector is on the way bringing severe gales



Another strom is set to hit parts of the UK going by the name of Hector.

People are being warned that severe gales are on the way which will impact those travelling tomorrow.

A yellow warning has been issued as severe gales will hit parts of the UK.

The Met Office say Strom Hector is heading for rhe UK and will bring strong winds during Thursday.

The Met Office have issued a yellow warning meaning ‘be aware’ as winds are set to come between 3am until 3pm which is likely to cause disruption to roads, rail and cause powercuts.

A Met Office spokesman said: “The strongest winds will reach the west coast during the early hours of Thursday before spreading eastwards during the day.

“Westerly winds are likely to gust between 50 and 60mph in many areas and possibly around 70mph in some exposed locations.

“Winds should gradually ease from the west during Thursday afternoon.”There may be a chance of longer journey times or cancellations as road, rail, air and ferry services are affected.”

“People have also been warned that buildings could be damaged and to take care near the coastline due to large waves and material potentially being thrown onto sea fronts.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading


My Story It is time to say goodbye to the RNLI after 15 years



The Story Of Ben Laws who served 15 years at Whitby RNLI.

After 15 years Ben was one of two dismissed from the RLNI following what is described as a bit if banter with the lads.

He wrote “I’m Sad to say goodbye to the rnli today, it’s been a great 15 years ive met and served with some awesome lads and lasses. And there wives girlfriends family’s fowls etc.

“you’ve all been great and one time we were a great big happy family down there. We’ve had some s**t horrendous jobs,

“some mint jobs saved loads of lives ,dogs ,deers sinking trawlers cut offs plane crashes tow ins wound up boats injured people steamed 40 mile in the fog for a guy with toothe ache,

“recovered too many unfortunate people who didn’t make it, but we always did it with pride respect and dignity. 3 words the rnli could do with looking up in the dictionary.

“Me and joe have been the brunt of a witch hunt and massive cover up our stations regional management have hung us out to dry and just disposed of us without a care in the world.

“our coxwain wouldn’t even speak to us through this horrible time or show us any support or guidance when we were getting hounded by the national press 24/7 which is very hard to swallow after being at sea for 15 years together and supposedly a friend.

“Out of all of this no good has come just a massive wedge driven into the crew and 6 good crew members gone. I hope the rnli do there job properly now and get rid of all the true problems at Whitby rnli now from management down to the snakes on the crew who keep leaking everything to the press.

“Hopefully they will see sence and wake up and see the real problems at Whitby and try and make it better for the good of the public who we are supposed to be keeping safe.

“All the best and stay safe on the boat all you good ones as we all no there are bad ones among you and thanks for everything and all the good times Il miss you all.”

Following the incident a number of crew members have resigned their role within the RNLI

Steve Boocock wrote “Well today it is confirmed, along with Joe, Ben, Martyn, and Neil, my time on Whitby Lifeboat crew has come to an end!

“I have enjoyed the last 18 years of service, worked with some great lads and lasses and served under some legendary coxswains.

“I really wanted to reach my 20 years but sadly recent events and some disgraceful decisions by the RNLI has put that ambition to bed.

“Thanks to all those who i have served with for all those years and also to those who passed their wealth of knowledge on to me, and Although ive seen some horrendous stuff during my time, the vast majority of the time its been a right ord scream.

“Finally, a massive thanks to Mike Russell for being the best coxswain ever and someone we all looked upto. Your boots will never ever be filled.

“Thanks all, and good night!”

The RNLI have released a statement to Police Hour RNLI Statement

“Following a fair and robust investigation and appeal process, we have upheld our decision to stand down two crew members from Whitby RNLI.

“Volunteers are entitled to appeal against our decisions and each case is considered on an individual basis. In this case, no new evidence was presented to us and we stand by our original decision.

“We recognise the years of dedication it takes to become a crew member and do not stand volunteers down lightly. But, like any emergency service, the RNLI sets high standards and expects all its volunteers and staff to set an example, not just in terms of their maritime expertise but also in their behaviour and respect for others.

“One volunteer was stood down for social media activity which targeted a member of RNLI staff without their knowledge and produced graphic sexual images which went far beyond banter.

“The other volunteer produced a hardcore pornographic image of a fellow crew member on a mug. Some newspapers created their own image of a mug, but the actual image produced by the volunteer was so graphic that no newspaper would be able to print it without breaking the law.

“We will continue to challenge any inappropriate behaviours and practices by staff or volunteers, and we do this for the thousands of volunteers who are committed to doing the right thing as they operate our 238 lifeboat stations 24/7.

“The remaining volunteer crew at Whitby are working closely with the RNLI to operate an effective lifesaving operation at Whitby lifeboat station. We would ask the local community to continue to support our volunteers, in what has been a challenging time, as they remain dedicated to saving lives on the Yorkshire coast.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading