Connect with us


Nurse guilty of murdering two patients during hospital terror



A nurse has been found guilty of murdering two patients during a reign of terror at the hospital where he worked.

Victorino Chua, aged 49, of no fixed address, deliberately contaminated products that were stored on acute treatment wards at Stepping Hill hospital with insulin.

The products – which included saline bags and ampoules – would then be used by unsuspecting staff members to treat unsuspecting patients.

The insulin would cause them to suffer hypoglycaemia – a drop in blood sugar levels.

The effects of such poisoning vary drastically but can result in death and Chua was found guilty of the murders of Tracy Arden, and Alfred Derek Weaver, known to his family as Derek.

He was also found guilty of intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to one patient who suffered a brain injury as a result of being poisoned and for whom Chua falsified his medical records, recording him as being conscious and alert when blood tests have proven that he was suffering severe hypoglycaemia.

Chua was also found guilty of attempting to intentionally cause grievous bodily harm to 21 other patients who became unwell after being treated with products contaminated with insulin but for who it could not be proven beyond all reasonable doubt suffered injury as a result or who suffered no lasting effects.

In the case of one of the patients, Chua was seen by staff to give a false reading by placing his own finger in a probe that records patient information.

A police investigation commenced in July 2011, after a number of patients fell-ill and contaminated products were discovered.

Officers from GMP’s Major Incident Team commenced an investigation into the poisonings and contaminations. The main lines of investigation included a review of hospital data, including point of care results, medical records and preserved blood samples, a review of the supply chain of effected products and an investigation into the shift patterns, backgrounds and working practices of hospital staff.

Due to the ongoing inquiry, Chua changed tact as he sought to poison other patients – again indirectly – in January 2012, by altering patients’ prescriptions.

Alterations involved adding prescription only drugs or increasing the size or frequency of the dose.

One patient was actually administered a dose prior to the alterations being discovered and subsequently made a full recovery.

In respect of these offences, he was found guilty of eight offences of unlawfully administering or causing to be taken by another person any poison or destructive or noxious thing with intent to injure, aggrieve or annoy, or attempting to do so after deliberately altering prescriptions.

Of all employees, including permanent, temporary and ‘bank’ staff, detectives established Chua was the only person on shift proximate to three key events. He was present when five patients were poisoned overnight between 10th and 11th July 2011; when contaminated ampoules were found overnight between 11th and 12th July 2011; and when prescription charts were fraudulently altered on 3 January 2012.

During a search of his house following his arrest, detectives recovered an autobiographical letter penned by Chua. In it he wrote, “I’m a nice person but there a devil in me…I’m evil at the same time angel,” and: “So I’m writing this letter in case something happen to me my family can continue my case or can tell somebody to look at it and work out how and angel turn to an evil person. The bitter nurse confession. Got lots to tell but I just take it to my grave.”

Detective Superintendent Simon Barraclough, said:

“On behalf of Greater Manchester Police, I would like to once again extend my sympathies to the families of Tracey Arden, Arnold Lancaster and Derek Weaver as well as all the victims of poisoning and their families.

“I hope they find some modicum of comfort and closure now that the person responsible for these heinous crimes has been caught.

“Hidden in plain sight and using unsuspecting colleagues to carry out his sinister plan, Victorino Chua deliberately poisoned and murdered those who were under his care and those who were at their most vulnerable and most in need of help.

“He would then watch the fruits of his labour unfold, as absolute chaos ensued across the wards as colleagues fought to save patients whilst attempting to comprehend what was happening.

“Chua has demonstrated clear narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies and such indiscriminate poisoning is testament to that. He clearly had no regard for his patients and did not give a second thought as to who would be injured or the devastation this would cause them and their families.

“There can be no doubt that he intended to both murder and injure patients under his care; despite him knowing what effect this poisoning was causing, he continued with no regard for his victims.

“It is so far from keeping with the ethos of those employed at the hospital or as health professionals generally that it is incredulous to believe someone in that vocation to be capable of such malevolence.

“From the outset we committed significant resources to this investigation with a view to bringing the offender to justice and I have to say that the cooperation we have received from Stepping Hill from the very beginning has been wholehearted: they have remained as resolute and determined as we to unmask the perpetrator, from the first day to the last.

“I would also like to thank those from the CPS who have been embedded with us while the investigation was progressing for their insight and assistance and whose excellent prosecution has resulted in this conviction as well as the many experts across Europe, without whose help we would not be where we are today.

“This has been without question the most complex police investigation I have undertaken in more than 15 years as a senior police detective, and I do not have the words to adequately convey my admiration for every member of my team for their fortitude and commitment to this case.

“Each and every one of them has had to develop a substantial understanding of acute care medicine and hospital procedures in order to get us to where we are today and I greatly understate that achievement when I say that is no mean feat.”

Notes to editors:

As part of the investigation 7,587 ‘actions’ were generated that included obtaining 3,291 statements and exhibiting 5,394 items. The prosecution file exceeds 30,000 pages and the overall investigation collated the equivalent of more than 500,000 pages of information.

In addition the investigation obtained more than 17,000 items of material that was not used by the prosecution, a single one of which might exceed 1,000 pages.

As part of the investigation a team of detectives also flew to Chua’s native Philippines where they were able to establish that he left one hospital after being caught stealing. They also visited the now defunct Galang training college where he claimed to have obtained his medical qualifications. As a result of investigations conducted, serious doubt has been cast relating to the authenticity of them.

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Cops subjected to horrific attack backup was 20 mins away



Two police officers were subjected to an horrific attack in a remote and rural spot of West Berkshire.

Backup was 20 mins away, in those 20 mins these cops faced a brutal attack as they attempted to save the life of a young child.

PCs Lucie Chhetri and John Donovan were subjected to a horrific attack in a remote rural spot in West Berkshire.

Their attacker – an intoxicated man accompanied by a young child – had driven into a ditch. The offcers tried to help, but in a split second he turned into a “complete maniac”. PC Chhetri had her head smashed against a police car and her colleague was also punched repeatedly.

She said: “There were no signs, no body language clues – he went from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. We sprayed him with Captor but it had no effect, he was like a raging bull.”

Back-up was 20 minutes away and the radio controller had poor local knowledge. Both officers feared for their lives. Later an ambulance took 40 minutes to arrive as it was diverted to another job. The suspect left with the injured offcers following a safe distance behind.

He was eventually arrested by offcers from neighbouring Hampshire and appeared in court a year later. He denied the assaults but body worn video footage revealed the truth and he was jailed for two years.

PC Chhetri believes they got a good result in court but feels that if either offcer had been carrying a Taser, they may have been able to subdue the offender without being assaulted.

PC O’Donovan, who has since been promoted to sergeant, described the incident as like “something outof a horror movie”.

He had to walk into hospital in front of members of the public in a muddied police uniform with injuries on display. The encounter has left him with recurring nightmares which he will be dealing with for some time.

He recalls: “The man was on the rampage – intent on causing serious harm. He was a lot stronger than me. He literally held me down and rained blows of immense force towards my head. He seemed to take great pleasure in inflicting this pain and I really didn’t think he was going to stop.”

PC O’Donovan said his wife was devastated: “She talked about what would have happened if things had been worse and I had not come home to her and our baby. She wants me to leave policing as she feels that it is not safe.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading


Kingsbury Shooting three taken to hospital



Three people have been injured following a shooting outside of a busy London Tube Station.

Daily violent headlines about london’s out of control bloodbath are hitting the headlines.

Emergency services rushed to the incident on Kingsbury High Road, Brent at around 9:45pm.

The incident is not terror related and is being treat as a gang related incident.

Twitter was flooded with reports and images of a shooting at the location.

No arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police and London Ambulance Service were alerted at around 2145hrs on Monday, 20 August, to reports of shots fired in Kingsbury Road, NW9.

“Officers from Brent attended the location along with London Ambulance Service.

London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 9.43 to reports of an incident on Kingsbury Road.

“We dispatched a number of resources including the London Air Ambulance by road.

“Three patients were found at the scene and they were taken to hospital.”

Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading


Rude note left on Ambulance while paramedics deal with an emergency



Paramedics have returned to their Ambulance to find a rude note on the windscreen claiming they waited 45 minutes for their drive to be unblocked.

If you need to leave your house urgently please come and knock on the door of the house where the emergency is happening, and if we can we will move the Ambulance.

Have you been angered by an emergency service vehicle blocking your drive?

The Paramedics returned to their ambulance in Leicester and were urged to “have some consideration when parking?

Surely that is the last thing going through a Paramedics mind dealing with a 999 call out, oh let’s wait a moment while we park this Ambulance more considerately while someone is laid moments from death on the floor when minutes matter in a life or death situation.

Paramedics dealing with an emergency in Leicester were left a note urging them to “have some consideration” about their parking.

The note “Please have some consideration where you park the ambulance!” the note said. “This is not the first time.”

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust criticised the “rude” note and said the crew parked as “considerately as possible” in the early hours of the morning.

Lee Brentnall, paramedic and ambulance operations manager for Leicestershire, said: “It is so disappointing to see that a rude note has yet again been left on one of our ambulances.

“This upsets our dedicated ambulance crews when they are trying to help our patients and do their job.

“Leaving a note will not resolve the situation as we are unlikely to see it until we are leaving in the ambulance to take the patient to a hospital or to go to our next job.”

Mr Brentnall added: “Our crews are approachable. If you genuinely need to leave your house urgently and we are blocking your access, please come and knock on the door where the emergency is taking place.

“Sometimes we will be able to move the vehicle, for example, if we are treating a patient but they do not need both of us there at the time.

What did our Twitter followers say? 

Karen Canner tweeted Police Hour saying “We moved our car and invited an ambulance to park on our drive to easier reach our neighbour who was in need and had a skip on her driveway. would anyone be angry at a person having a medical emergency being helped? i just don’t get it.”

Silent Running said I cannot understand the mentality of people complaining, i’m sure they’d be all for it if they were the ones being saved, the selfish, non-empathetic bastards

You can block my entrance or back passage anytime

Rachel said “Erm yeah no I havnt and wouldn’t even if my car was stuck I’d wait they’d not do it unless they had no choice”

Well to be fair what kind of person would actually be angered by an ambulance blocking them in, Have we really lost the basic ability to communicate.



Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.



Continue Reading