Mother, Father and Twin Daughters named following #Redbridge Murders

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command have confirmed the identities of a family who died at an address in Chadwell Heath.

While formal identification awaits, we are confident the woman and two girls who died at the address in Grove Road are:

– Shighi Kotuvala, 37 (10.11.77);
– Niya Rethishkumar, 13 (04.03.02);
– Neha Rethishkumar, 13 (04.03.02).

The man whose body was found hanging in an area near a reservoir in Forest Road, Walthamstow is:

– Pullarkattil Kunjunny Rethish Kumar, 44 (22.05.70).

Their relationship was mother, father and twin daughters.

Enquiries continue to trace any next of kin.

Post-mortem examinations are due to commence today, Thursday, 14 May, at East Ham Mortuary. We will not speculate on cause of death, however the female bodies have no signs of visible injuries.

An investigation was launched after police went to a house in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath at 13:10hrs on Tuesday, 12 May in response to concerns about the welfare of the residents. 

On arrival, officers forced entry and found the bodies of a woman, aged 37, and two girls, aged 13. 

At 08:17hrs on Wednesday, 13 May, police were called to an area by a covered reservoir, Forest Road, Walthamstow to reports of a 44-year-old man found hanging. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The last confirmed sighting of the family was on Sunday, 10 May.

Detective Superintendent Kenny McDonald, who is overseeing the investigation from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “At this stage we are awaiting the outcome of the post-mortems to confirm cause of death, which will provide further evidence of what has taken place inside the house at Grove Road.

“However, at this stage in our ongoing investigation we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

“We are making extensive enquiries to trace next of kin, who we believe to be outside of the UK.”

Police attended the address in Grove Road late on the evening of Monday, 11 May, but there was no response and no signs of any disturbance. As is routine in these circumstances, the Directorate of Professional Standards is reviewing the police response and a referral to the Independent Police Complaints Commission was made on Tuesday, 12 May.