Connect with us


Life of British Paramedic assiting in Earthquake Struck Nepal



Although it is almost a month since a devastating earthquake struck Nepal, the humanitarian work continues 24 hours a day.
Two West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedics are just about to return from the country after doing their part to help the people of that country.
They were the fourth and fifth members of staff to fly out. One of the first on scene was Dr Malcolm Russell, one of the Trust’s Medical Incident Officers and a BASICS Doctor in the Mercia Accident Rescue Service (MARS) scheme from Herefordshire.

This is his account of his time in Nepal: “On arrival, we established a base of operations in the grounds of the British
Embassy, living in tented accommodation. Being experienced in working in post-earthquake areas, the team always prefers tents in open areas which are generally safer than moving straight into un-surveyed buildings with the inevitable aftershocks which follow.
“Our operations began in Kathmandu, with the UK ISAR team being given a specific sector in which to work. The team found that most live rescues had been completed already and that most dead bodies had already been recovered. It soon became apparent that the main area of need was in the more remote mountainous areas which had only been visited briefly by military helicopters, dropping in aid and removing the more serious casualties. Otherwise many of these areas had remain completely isolated and out of touch with very little information coming out about the extent of the damage suffered.
“We spent most of the next week, on request of the Nepalese government, re-focussing on an area outlying the town of Chautara about 50km to the north-east of Kathmandu. Whereas Kathmandu had pockets of destruction with many buildings remaining intact, the team found villages in the countryside where 95% of all buildings had been completely flattened. 
“The scale of destruction was incredible. It was certainly fortunate that the earthquake struck in the daytime on a Saturday, when many people would have been outside, or at least able to run outside quickly. Few were in the larger public buildings and there is no doubt that the death toll would have been far worse in the earthquake had struck at night. Even so, there had been large numbers of dead and injured and it was very saddening to see whole villages completely destroyed.
“We initially walked into some very remote areas and later had helicopter flights to gain access to the area. The team gathered information about immediate needs – which were mainly shelter, food and water – provided structural assessment of surviving buildings, gathered important data about remaining village populations, casualty numbers and on-going health needs. This vital information was then fed back to the humanitarian organisations and the Nepalese government.

“During our work we found an elderly man with a fractured ankle with open wounds and a woman with a broken arm. Neither had been reached previously by any rescue or medical organisation and this was a week after the earthquake had struck. We were able to get them evacuated to hospital almost immediately.  
“Working on information provided by local villagers, we also discovered a four year old girl who had been lying on a wooden bed for eight days unable to move, being nursed by her anxious family who did not have access to any medical care. 

“When we examined her, it was clear that she had a fractured femur (thigh) so a helicopter evacuation was immediately organised to a large Israeli field hospital in Kathmandu where she was successfully treated. It was surprising to find such major trauma over a week after the earthquake and the poor girl had suffered an awful amount of distress. We were very pleased to have been able to help her and her family.”
Back in Kathmandu a specialist rope access team of UK ISAR was working to stabilise a precarious piece of concrete hanging dangerously over the main entrance to a teaching hospital. By making the building safe, the hospital was able to increase from 50 hospital beds in use to almost 400 beds overnight, a dramatically positive impact for the local area.

Back in the UK, Dr Russell said: “There is still a huge amount of humanitarian
work which will have to continue for many months – even years – but it is pleasing to have been able to contribute during the first most difficult days following the earthquake. 
“Nepal is an amazing country with remarkably resilient and friendly people, but there has been such horrendous devastation that this small country will need all the help it can get. It will take a long time for Nepal to get back on its feet, and I hope people will continue to support the relief work in the months to come.”



Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Hospital turn off life support machine because family couldn’t pay £7k bill



The family of British man have been left devastated and furious after an Egyptian hospital because staff switched off his life support without their permission.

Despite this the hospital claim Adrian King suffered cardiac arrest however his family have told the local courts it’s because they didn’t have the money to pay a £7k insurance bill.

Adrian aged 39 became ill while he was on holiday with his friend in Hurghada, on Egypt’s east coast.

All of a sudden he fell unconscious and was being treated in hospital, during his time in hospital it was discovered his insurance policy have been voided and they demanded an upfront payment while he laid on his death bed.

The inquest heard how the insurance was void as he had not declared a bacterial infection he had within his stomach two years before his holiday.

Adrian’s dad Charles Bumford told the hearing: “A man at the hospital stood in my son’s room and told me: ‘The insurance is null and void – you pay now or I switch off the machines.’

“I didn’t have the £7,000 ($9,800) he was asking for at that time. As he walked out of the room he started switching things off.”

Charles added that he tried contacting the hospital ’50 times’ but he never received an answer. The friend Adrian was with at the time, Nicola, was similarly confused by the situation occurring in the medical facility.

“They did the second dialysis and then said that the insurance was voided,” she told the inquest.

“They never said he had a cardiac arrest or anything, they said it was stopping, because the funding was stopped.”

Our thoughts are with the family of Adrian at this difficult time.



Continue Reading


Woman arrested after leaving move your vehicle note on ambulance attending 999 call



Police have taken a zero tolerance approach to a woman who left a note on an ambulance.

The note left paramedics disgusted police have now confirmed they have arrested a woman after the abusive note was left on an ambulance demanding it parked somewhere else while it was attending a 999 emergency call.

The note stated ‘I couldn’t give a s**t if the whole street collapsed”

The crew were also verbally abused while attending the emergency call while attempting to deal with an ongoing medical incident on Sunday afternoon.

Now a 26-year-old Tunstall woman has been arrested for public order offences.

Chief Inspector John Owen, commander of Staffordshire Police’s Stoke-on-Trent North policing team, tweeted about the incident.

He added: “We will not tolerate abuse or intimidation of our emergency services. This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and we will take appropriate action against offenders.

“The arrest relates to matters of verbal abuse that could constitute offences under the Public Order Act. This is not solely about the note.”

A Staffordshire Police spokesman confirmed the force took action after seeing details reported on Twitter.

The woman remains in police custody and enquiries are on-going.



Continue Reading


Jon Venables Reportedly Attacked With Boiling Water By Fellow Inmate



Jon Venables attacked with boiling water by a fellow inmate. 

Jon Venables, one of the schoolboys who murdered James Bulger in 1993 has been attacked in prison after an image was released on social media.

Venables who is now aged 35 was attacked with boiling water and sugar after a fellow inmate managed to work out his identity.

Venables have been living under a fake name since 2001 and was sent back to jail having broken the conditions of his release and being found guilty of child pornography.

Venables was banned from travelling back to Liverpool but he had been attending music events and going to Everton Football matches.

He was later found to be in possession of cocaine and was also having a relationship with an underage girl.

Prison Officers were forced to place Venables on lockdown after his identity was revealed and he was attacked with boiling water and sugar.

it is alleged that Venables complained that guards did nothing at first to stop the attack from happening and offered him little help once he had been assaulted.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed to Police Hour that “incidents of this nature happen within prisons and we cannot discuss the nature of individual cases”

Now that the true identity of Venables is known within side the prison after images have been circulated among inmates it will be inevitable that another attack will happen.

Venables is currently serving a three-year sentence for child pornography offences and possession of 1,170 images of children which included babies.

It is believed inmates have been circulating images of Venables from prison to prison in the hope that one prisoner can identity him.

Facebook and Twitter this month removed images from their social media websites of various men who people claimed was Venables.

It is a criminal offence to name or identity Venables on social media due to an anonymity order granted in 2001 that prevents him from ever being named or identified.

Due to the nature of his repeat offending there is mounting pressure to scrap that order in order to prevent further children being targeted.

However due to the nature of Venables sick attack these orders are likely never to be removed.



Continue Reading