Connect with us

News

68 year old man conned out of £1.7K for non-existent building repairs

Published

on

Police are hunting two men who conned a 68-year-old man out of £1700 for non-existent building repairs.

At around 11am on Monday 11th May 2015, two workmen approached the victim’s house on Arthur Street, Eccles, and knocked on his door.

They told the victim that they had undertaken repairs on his neighbour’s house and as a result, he asked them to take a look at his roof.

Having pretended to examine his roof more closely, the pair told the victim that it would cost him £1700 to repair.

They encouraged him to pay them up front, but once he had handed over the money they left and never returned to complete any of the work promised.

The first offender is described as white, around 35 years old, around 5ft 6in to 5ft 8in tall, of stocky build and short, dark, receding hair. He had a Salford accent and was wearing a blue jumper with ‘roofing contractors’ on the front in white lettering.

The second offender is described as white, in his early 20s, around 5ft 8in tall and of slim build, with medium-length dark hair. He also was wearing a blue jumper with ‘roofing contractors’ on the front in white lettering.

Neighbourhood Inspector Jill Gorse said: “This is a despicable crime, which has left an elderly man seriously out of pocket and with a broken roof still to repair.

“I would urge anyone who has seen these men in the area to contact police as soon as possible, as it is highly likely they will try to con others in a similar fashion.

“Fortunately, this case has brought the best out of his local community, who have rallied to assist the victim in the form of a collection, while a local builder, PTB Contractors, has also been in contact to see if he can assist with the building repairs.

“It is stories like this that restore some faith in humanity, particularly when vulnerable people have been targeted by low-lives looking for a quick buck.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 5228 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Police Hour pledges support for #SuperHero18 campaign launched to raise awareness of CSE

Published

on

The fourth ‘Superhero’ social media campaign to raise awareness of CSE has been launched and the response has already been remarkable, with thousands of Twitter users pledging their support already.

Police Hour is supporting the campaign for the fourth year running because it simply raises awareness of the importance of protecting children online

So far support has come from American actress Liz Vassey who played Captain Liberty in ‘The Tick’ and also starred in CSI.

How do i join #SuperHero18?

You simply news to change your twitter profile image to that of your favourite superhero for seven days and tweet your support using the hashtag #SuperHero18

Who is behind #SuperHero18?

PC Rob Stevens from Northamptonshire Police launched the campaign in 2015 and it very quickly went global, with people from as far afield as Canada, USA and Australia pledging their support.

PC Stevens said: “I started the campaign because I wanted to raise awareness of a subject very close to my heart – there is no greater priority than protecting our children and preventing this awful crime.

“The response over the past three years has been extraordinary with people from all corners of the globe getting involved.

“I hope this year we’ll reach even more people. I urge social media users to get creative in choosing their superhero – which could be a cartoon character or somebody who inspires them – perhaps a parent or grandparent – and to circulate messages which raise awareness of CSE; how to spot it, how to prevent it and how to get help and support.”

Senior officers who have changed their profile pictures in support of #SuperHero18 include Chief Constable Simon Edens, whose avatar is now Anti Venom and Deputy Chief Constable Rachel Swann who chose Jessica Jones as her avatar.

Assistant Chief Constable James Andronov is the Regional CSE lead. His avatar for seven days is Beast Boy. He said:

“This is a campaign which has gone from strength-to-strength over the last three years and now has phenomenal support.

“I urge anybody who hasn’t already to pledge their support and help play a part in putting a stop to the sexual exploitation of children and the signs to look out for which may indicate a child is at risk.

“It is only by raising awareness that we can prevent this abhorrent crime and protect our children.”

Help raise #CSE awareness with @PCStevens1368 using #SuperHero18

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Alfie Evens judge rejects plea to take tot to Italy but urges doctors to consider letting him go home

Published

on

Little Alfie Evens has been banned from

Leaving the UK to travel to Italy for life saving treatment.

A private Air Ambulance is still currently on Standby within the hospital grounds.

The family of Alfie made one final plea at an emergency high court hearing that wanted to take the seriously ill 23-month-old to Italy rejected after his life support was withdrawn

The family had today returned to the high court after Alfie immediately began supporting himself after life support was withdrawn, he had taken on water and food.

The judge has today ruled that Alfie Evans cannot fly to Italy for treatment in a devastating blow to the family.

Judge Mr Justice Hayden did rule that doctors should consider allowing the little boy to go home.

The ’emergency’ hearing came as the 23-month-old continues to cling to life more than 21 hours after his life support was reportedly switched off.

Barrister Paul Diamond, representing Alfie’s family, argued it cannot be in the tot’s best interests to be left to die at Liverpool’s Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool.

Alfie has taken on food and water and has been breathing on his own since 9.17pm yesterday.

Tom Evans, 21, confirmed the 23-month-old was taken off his ventilator at 9.17pm last night, and began breathing on his own offering hope for his family who had failed in their high court legal battle.

They have today been granted an emergency High Court legal bid which may allow his parents to fly Alfie to Italy based on the fact he is breathing on his own.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Alfie Evans Military plane on Standby as Breathing independently for nearly 20 hours

Published

on

Alfie Evans is continuing to breath on his own after life support was withdrawn at the Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool.

A military aircraft has now been placed on standby to fly Alfie to Italy for treatment. His family are back in court today fighting for Alfie in what will be the last legal bid based on the fact he is breathing on his own.

Alfie has taken on food and water and has been breathing on his own since 9.17pm yesterday.

Tom Evans, 21, confirmed the 23-month-old was taken off his ventilator at 9.17pm last night, and began breathing on his own offering hope for his family who had failed in their high court legal battle.

They have today been granted an emergency High Court legal bid which may allow his parents to fly Alfie to Italy based on the fact he is breathing on his own.

Doctors are said to be gobsmacked that Alfie is breathing on his own unaided.

A High Court judge is this afternoon set to oversee a hearing at Manchester, with Alfie’s parents to push for their son to be taken to Italy for treatment and possible diagnosis.

Paul Diamond who is fighting the battle for the family will argue that it is not in Alfie’s best interests to be left at Alder Hey Hospital and that he should be flown overseas to Italy for treatment.

A private Air Ambulance plane is on standby and Italy have also offered a private jet to get Alfie to Hospital.

It is hoped that Alfie breathing on his own will offer the family new hope after they lost a High Court appeal on Monday that banned him from leaving the hospital for treatment for his degenerative neurological condition.

And that life support would be withdrawn immediately.

Doctors argued that Alfie is in a semi-vegetative state and has ben for more than a year.

They believe his treatment should be withdrawn and it would be in his best interest to stop mechanical ventilation

A spokesperson for the Christian Legal Centre, which has been assisting Kate James and Tom, said: “Alfie has survived much longer than the doctors predicted, lending support to the request from Alfie’s parents for Alfie to be seen by medical experts in Italy.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending