Connect with us

News

Man murders ex-wife after he discovered she was using dating sites

Published

on

A Gorleston man has been found guilty of murdering his former wife after he discovered she had been using dating websites.

Lorna McCarthy, aged 50, was stabbed to death by 51-year-old Barry McCarthy in the home they still shared on Sussex Road on Sunday 28 September 2014.

The couple had separated in May 2014 after Lorna ended their relationship; however, they continued to live together and slept in separate bedrooms.

Following their separation, McCarthy discovered that Lorna had been using dating websites. He confronted her about it and Lorna agreed that she would close them down.

On the night of Saturday 27 September, Lorna was spending the evening with friends when McCarthy contacted her and they had an argument. Lorna returned home at around 3.00am on Sunday 28 September and sent a number of text messages to friends and family stating that McCarthy had smashed up her laptop computer. She also sent a text to her daughter at 4.15am stating: “I’m out in Norwich tomorrow from midday but if I have not messaged you by then please call the police. I’m quite serious as I really don’t know what he is capable of these days.” Lorna’s daughter never received that text.

At around 1.30pm on Sunday 28 September,McCarthy attended Gorleston police station where he used the public telephone outside the station to call a police operator and stated that he had killed his wife.

McCarthy then confirmed to officers at the station that he had killed his wife at 5am because she had been on internet dating sites.

McCarthy was arrested on suspicion of murder and police officers attended the address in Sussex Road where they found the body of Lorna McCarthy in the back bedroom. She had been stabbed a number of times and a post mortem examination later revealed she had died from a stab wound to the heart.

McCarthy pleaded not guilty to murder at a previous hearing and subsequently put forward a defence of ‘loss of control’. However, a jury at Norwich Crown Court today found him guilty of murder following a eight day trial.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Durham said: “This was a horrific and brutal attack on a woman in her own home by a man she had spent 25 years of her life with. My thoughts go out to Lorna’s family and friends and I hope today’s verdict will help bring them some comfort as they still try to come to terms with her tragic death.”

McCarthy has been given a provisional date to be sentenced at Norwich Crown Court on  Friday 1 May 2015.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

ARRESTED: Hostages taken by armed man at Nuneaton Bowling Alley

Published

on

Armed Police and specially trained negotiators have successfully ended a hostage situation that lasted almost four hours.

Armed Officers and Ambulance Crews responded to the major incident at the MFA Bowling Alley in Nuneaton following a vast amount of calls reporting a man with a sawn-off shotgun.

The man is believed to have taken two hostages who were both staff members within the bowling alley.

Mehdi Afshar Chief Executive of MFA Bowl confirmed that two members of his staff were being held, hostage.

It is Mehdi believe that the suspect gunman is known to one of his staff members and the relationship is either an ex-husband or boyfriend.

No customers or other staff members were hurt in the incident and were allowed to freely leave, while the suspect told many others to get the F**k out of here while screaming at his hostages it is Game Over.

 

The incident began just after 3pm on Sunday 22nd October when many families and children fled the scene after spotting the gunman.

Those that did not escape the scene immediately were told to leave by the gunman.  Police quickly ruled out the incident as being terror-related.

Credit: PoliceHour

The full area is on lockdown with all roads in and out of the area have been blocked and no one is allowed to leave the Nearby Odeon Cinema located next door to the bowling alley or a nearby soft play centre.

The Air Ambulance has landed near the bowling alley and has since left the location.

Video footage shows a number of armed police officers in a car park at the scene.

 

Warwickshire Police confirmed that they were dealing with an “ongoing incident” however while the incident was ongoing they did not confirm the nature of the incident.

Once the incident had concluded police confirmed that the man had been arrested and two hostages had been released uninjured.

Moments before the incident ended flash bangs were seen and heard before armed officers moved in and very quickly the suspect was arrested before being placed in the back of an ambulance which left the scene on blue lights and under a police escort.

A Spokesperson for Warwickshire Police confirmed the suspect had now been arrested and the situation was over.

“Specialist firearms officers and police negotiators, along with fire, ambulance and police air services, attended the location at the bowling alley in St David’s Way, Bermuda Park. A man has been arrested and is in police custody.

“Members of public at the bowling alley and neighbouring properties were evacuated to safety and nobody was injured during the incident.

“Warwickshire Police Chief Superintendent Alex Franklin-Smith said: “We would like to thank local people for their patience and cooperation while officers dealt with this incident. We are pleased that we were able to bring this incident to a peaceful resolution and that there were no injuries. I would like to reassure the Nuneaton community that the incident is unconnected to any terrorist activity.”

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Urgent Warning over exploding paw patrol soap after boy three in intensive care bath bomb exploded

Published

on

Three-year-old boy is currently in a critical condition after a canister of Paw Patrol bath foam exploded while he was having a bath

The product has not been recalled, however, we would urge all parents to think twice when thinking about using this product.

The little tot is currently being cared for at Belfast’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children last night.

The little boy has burns to the outside and inside of his body, it is believed he was in the bath with his Paw Patrol Foam soap and it suddenly exploded.

The boy who has not been named was rushed to hospital on blue lights in a critical condition.

A spokesman for the Belfast Trust said the little boy is “in the children’s intensive care unit and his condition is critical”.

Nickelodeon confirmed that they had heard about the incident and that they were investigating the matter.

Confirming “We are terribly sorry to hear about this dreadful incident and we are gathering more information about the licensed product involved.”

Paw Patrol is an animated TV programme that is broadcast on Nickelodeon and is popular with kids and features six rescue dogs.

But they did not say whether or not the product would be withdrawn from sale.

You can buy the bath foam at a range of high street shops.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Urgent appeal takes 2 seconds to share to help find missing teen from York

Published

on

Please share this picture far and wide in hope that we can bring this 13-year-old back home . It only takes one person who shares this to spot her and be that’s difference

North Yorkshire Police is urgently appealing for information to help find a missing 13-year-old girl from York.

Elise Donoghue was last seen leaving her drama class at the York Theatre Royal on St Leonard’s Place just before 8pm on 19 October.

It’s thought Elise is without money or access to a mobile phone, and she is considered vulnerable due to her age.

Police enquiries have been ongoing to locate in York where it is known she has connections in the Fulford and Danesgate areas of the city.

There is also a possibility she headed to York Railway Station and boarded a train heading towards the north-west where she has friends in the Cheshire area. British Transport Police is assisting with enquiries.

Elise is described as white, 5ft 2in tall, blonde hair with a medium build. When she was seen she was wearing a grey hooded -top, black leggings, black Ugg boots and she carrying a shoulder bag.

Anyone who knows where Elise is or have seen a girl matching her description, please call North Yorkshire Police as a matter of urgency on 101, select option 1, and speak to the Force Control Room. Please quote reference number 12170187979.

If Elise you are reading this there is help and support available simply call or text 116000 they will be able to help you free and confidential.

Anyone who is currently missing from home Missing people are here to help you whenever you are ready; they can listen, talk you through what help you need, pass a message for you and help you to be safe. Call. Text. Anytime. Free. Confidential. 116000

They are also on hand to provide support for anyone who has been recently returned home having been missing.

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement Enter ad code here

Facebook

Trending