Connect with us

News

Husband Jailed for burying his wife in back garden

Published

on

A man who killed his wife and then buried her in a shallow grave in his back garden – leaving her there for nearly a month – has been jailed.

Thomas Flanagan (born 01/03/1957), of Wigan Road, Leigh, pleaded guilty to manslaughter when he appeared before Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square today, 12 December 2014.

He was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

Flanagan and his wife Elaine, 57, lived a fairly isolated life at their marital home on Wigan Road. During the day on Friday 25 July 2014, the couple had a heated argument about a credit card. When interviewed later by police, Flanagan claimed his wife turned violent and slapped him, causing him to retaliate and grab her around the throat, pinning her up against the kitchen wall.

She then crumpled to the ground and Flanagan believed he had killed her. However, rather than call for an ambulance he began drinking vodka, leaving his wife dead on the kitchen floor.

Flanagan left his wife there on the floor for a few days until the body began to smell.

He then dragged her outside into the back garden and lay her in a ditch where they had once attempted to dig out a small fish pond.

Flanagan then carried on his life as normal, for nearly four weeks, until on the 17 August 2014 he was talking to a family friend. When the friend asked why he had not seen Elaine for some time, Flanagan replied that he’d killed her. He then attempted to pass this off as a joke, before repeating the allegation and claiming he had buried her in the back garden.

Concerned, the family friend called police who sent a patrol round to conduct a welfare check.

When the officers attended and got no reply, they went round to the back garden and found Elaine’s body, badly decomposed, lying in the shallow ditch covered with twigs and leaves.

Flanagan was immediately arrested, and told the arresting officer: ‘I’ve killed her. I strangled the woman. She got on my nerves and I strangled her. I went completely off my head and I’ll make a full confession. Sorry mate.’

Senior Investigating Officer Duncan Thorpe said: “We may never know exactly what happened in the kitchen on the fateful morning Elaine was killed, but what we do know for certain is that Flanagan had more than three weeks to inform the authorities that his wife had died. Instead he left Elaine’s body in a shallow grave in their back garden.

“The couple did not have many friends and kept themselves to themselves, so it was not until Thomas confessed to a friend that the police became aware that Elaine had been killed.

“Ultimately, this is an extremely tragic case in which a woman lost her life following a heated argument and was denied a proper burial for nearly a month.” THOMASFLANAGAN

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Boy aged five dies after crossing the road in Bournemouth

Published

on

Officers are appealing for witnesses to come forward following a fatal collision in Bournemouth in which a young boy has sadly died after he crossed the road.

Police Hour is unable to speculate on whether or not the child was out walking the streets alone, Police have not confirmed these details.

What we can confirm

At 3.54pm today, Wednesday 13 December 2017, Dorset Police was called to reports of a very serious collision involving a black Vauxhall Corsa and a five-year-old boy as he crossed Naseby Road.

The boy, from Bournemouth, sustained a serious head injury and was taken to Poole Hospital. Very sadly he died a short time later. His parents have been informed and the coroner notified.

The driver of the car, a local woman aged in her 20s, was shaken but uninjured.

The road is closed while emergency services deal with the incident and collision investigators examine the scene.

Police appeal for anyone with dashcam footage to come forward

Police Sergeant Joe Pardey, of the traffic unit, said: “It is with great sadness for me to say that this young boy died from the injuries he sustained in the collision. Our thoughts are with all his family and friends.

“I am appealing to anyone who witnessed the collision and has yet to speak to officers to please contact Dorset Police.

“I would ask anybody who was in the area at the time to consider any dashcam or CCTV footage they may have which could assist us in our investigation.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email at [email protected] or by calling 101, quoting incident number 13:269. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

87-year-old Arthur was beaten and robbed in his own home sadly dies

Published

on

Arthur who was aged 87 was badly beaten and robbed in his own home has sadly lost his life in hospital following the horrific ordeal he experienced.

Arthur ‘Bob” Gumbley was attacked in his own home in Endwood Drive, Sutton Coldfield on November 21st.

He was found laid in a pool of blood on the floor, he was black and blue having been punched and kicked in the face.

He was rushed to the Good Hope Hospital where he was receiving treatment to his chest, neck, arms and face.

Arthur before the attack was in really good health, sadly his condition deteriorated last week and he sadly passed away on Monday 11 December.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Dan Ison, said: “This was an horrific and despicable attack on a defenceless elderly man in his own home, which has now resulted in his untimely death and a murder investigation.

“I am appealing for the support of the public to assist us in bringing those responsible to justice. Therefore, I make a plea to any person who may have any information, or who may be a witness to this terrible incident, to please make contact with us.

“Crimes of this nature cannot go unpunished, and I want to reassure Arthur’s family that every effort is now being made to bring those responsible to justice. They are being supported by specially trained officers, and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this sad time to allow them to grieve.

“The robbery is believed to have taken place between 7 pm and 9 pm when thieves ransacked the house and stole items of jewellery and cash, as well as a purse that belonged to Arthur’s late wife.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Fourth child dies following blaze in Salford as Zac Bolland is charged with Murder

Published

on

A girl aged three has tragically died in hospital following a house fire in Salford

Sadly her life support machine was turned off today “my beautiful granddaughter, go find your brother & two sisters”.

Her three other siblings sadly died following the blaze.

So far six people have been arrested and two have been charged over the deaths.

Sadly Lia Pearson was injured when a blaze broke out just before 5 am Monday morning at the terraced house in Jackson Street, Walkden.

Her sister Demi Pearson aged 15 was pronounced dead at the scene and her brother Brandon and Seven-year-old sister Lacie died in hospital.

Her grandmother Sandra Lever announced the heart breaking news that Lia’s life support machine has been turned off.

She said “my beautiful granddaughter, go find your brother & two sisters”.

Their 35 year old mother Michelle Pearson is in a serious condition and is not aware that four of her children have died.

Two 16-year-old boys managed to escape the blaze.

Zak Bolland

Zac Bolland aged 23 and Courtney Brierley aged 20 have appeared in Worsley have been charged with three counts of Murder and four counts of attempted murder and one final count of arson with intent to endanger life.

Any with information on the incident should contact police 0161 856 8797, or call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending