Police are today issuing a fresh appeal following the murder of 86-year-old Una Crownin her own home, in Wisbech.
She was repeatedly stabbed and then sent on fire in what is described by police as an apparent attempt to disguise her injuries and destroy evidence.
The incident occurred 16-months ago in Magazine Lane, Wishbech.
Police have set up a new team of fresh detectives from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit is re-launching the investigation in the hope it will lead to a breakthrough in the case.
Officers will be in Wisbech throughout the week carrying out house-to-house enquiries, revisiting witnesses, putting up posters and handing out leaflets appealing for information.
A mobile police station will also be set up in Magazine Lane throughout the week.
A fresh picture of Mrs Crown has also been released by her family.
Detective Chief Inspector Sharn Basra said: “The investigation into the murder of Una Crown has never closed, but the decision has now been taken to review the case.
“While the investigation to date has been full and thorough, with a number of significant lines of enquiry established no one has been charged. It is hoped re-investigating the circumstances surrounding the murder may identify additional witnesses and information adding further weight to the evidence already gathered.
“We firmly believe there are people in Wisbech who know who is responsible for Mrs Crown’s death.
“Hopefully they will now have the courage to come forward and give us the information which will bring her killer to justice.”
Mrs Crown was last seen alive since Friday, January 11, last year, but had spoken to a friend by telephone at about 5pm on the Saturday.
Her body was discovered by a family member the following morning.
A £10,000 Crimestoppers reward is on offer for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the murder.
Anyone with any information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
Police are content Corrie McKeague is not in the landfill areas which have now been searched.
olice have completed the search of a second area at the Milton landfill site as part of their inquiry to find Corrie McKeague.
The search of an extended area of Cell 22 began on October 23, 2017.
Although the data available indicated this was the next most likely area where Corrie might be found following the original 20-week search of the cell earlier this year, there was no trace of him.
Police are content Corrie is not in the landfill areas which have now been searched.
The inquiry team has identified all the other possible locations where waste has been deposited from the area in Bury St Edmunds known as the ‘horseshoe’ and there are no further realistic search opportunities at this time.
As previously stated, the nature of waste disposal and its movement is not an exact science.
The primary hypothesis – that Corrie ended up in the waste disposal process – was endorsed by a review of the investigation undertaken by the East Midlands Special Operations Unit (EMSOU).
The EMSOU officers who conducted the review were given access to all of the information they needed to conduct a thorough review, including all of the witness statements.
Following the conclusion of the landfill search site today the investigation into Corrie’s disappearance on September 24, 2016, will continue.
He was last seen on CCTV entering a loading bay in the ‘horseshoe’ following a night out.
CCTV in Bury St Edmunds town centre has already been viewed up to 4pm on 24th September 2016 and Corrie has not been seen to leave.
However, we will continue to scrutinise the other theories in order to try to establish and understand what may have happened to Corrie.
Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott said: “We are still committed to continuing with the inquiry. There are a number of other theories about what could have happened to Corrie and we are continuing to test the evidence to help us understand what happened to Corrie, which will assist in providing answers to his family.
“We feel it is important to explain to the family what we are doing, so they have the opportunity to understand and question what we have done, and why we have done it.
“We are acutely aware of the immense strain the last 15 months has placed upon Corrie’s loved ones. We want them to be confident we are doing everything that it is practical for us to do as we strive to find Corrie.”
Suffolk Constabulary would like to thank FCC Environment, owner of the Milton landfill site, for its support and co-operation during the inquiry.
The total amount searched in this second phase of the search was 2,867.5 tonnes.
The Wesley Nightclub in Hartlepool is ablaze
An area of Hartlepool town centre has been closed as flames rip through the former Wesley nightclub.
Police and Fire Fighters were quickly on the scene of the blaze at the former Wesley Nightclub and Chruch in Hartlepool.
The Grade II Listed Building has stood empty for a number of years and is a very iconic building within Hartlepool.
Trevor Sherwood Police Hour editor said “The flames are reaching 20ft in the air and a large number of fire appliances are on the scene loud explosions can be heard from inside the building”
“I arrived on scene just before the first fire appliance got there, loud bangs could be heard from inside and the fire quickly took hold”
“It was over 30 minutes before Cleveland Fire could get a hose safely on the building as they needed an aerial platform”.
Hugh flames can be seen for several miles as firefighters tackle the blaze. It took Firefighters almost 30 minutes before they were able to get a hose onto the fire which seemed to be mainly on the roof of the building with flames up to 20ft.
Firefighters have been called to a blaze at the former Wesley nightclub and church in Wesley Square, Hartlepool.
The Wesley Chruch opened n 1872 and became an iconic image within Hartlepool sadly the church closed in 1973 and later reopened as a nightclub in the early 2000s and then later a gym complex.
The business was closed and has been empty for over 10 years left to fall to bits with many people within Hartlepool hoping the building could be brought back to life.
Cleveland Fire Brigade was alerted to the fire just after 9pm and with a large number of fire appliances being sent the scene.
Cleveland Police assisted the fire brigade by enforcing a number of road closures on Victoria Road and Raby Road.
We have contacted Cleveland Fire Brigade for comment.
Members of the public are being warned to keep their windows shut as thick smoke is billowing across the centre of Hartlepool.
Cleveland Police have released a statement “Officers have been called to a report of a fire at an empty building known as the Wesley Nightclub on Victoria Road in Hartlepool on Saturday 9th December”
“Police are currently on scene with Cleveland Fire Brigade and it is believed no one is injured at this time.”
“Victoria Road and Wesley Square are currently closed and people are advised to avoid these areas until further notice.”
Anyone who may have witnessed what happened leading up to the fire is requested to contact Cleveland Police on 101.
On-Duty Police Constable James Dixon has sadly died
It is with great sadness that we report the death of Police Constable James Dixon and a 91-year-old woman following an incident on the A4 in Berkshire.
PC James Dixon died after the police motorcycle he was riding collided with a car on Bath Road near Hare Hatch at 13:50 GMT.
The pensioner was a passenger in the car and was killed while the driver was rushed to hospital.
Police Hour has now launched a readers appeal to help raise money to support the family of the fallen police officer and the 91-year-old victim who has not yet been named.
Tonight we light a candle fo PC James Dixon thank you for your service, our thoughts are with your family as this difficult time. pic.twitter.com/qwEdkpi6lI
— Police Hour (@PoliceHour) December 5, 2017
The road will remain closed for the remainder of Tuesday.
PC Dixon was a highly respected police
Officer of Thames Valley Police
A force spokesman said officers remained at the scene of the collision and had advised motorists to avoid the area.
The incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
IPCC Associate Commissioner Guido Liguori said: “My thoughts and sympathies are with their families and friends and the colleagues of the officer at this very difficult time.
“IPCC investigators are attending the scene as part of an independent investigation to determine the circumstances which lead to the collision.”
PC Dixon was based at Loddon Valley police station, near Reading.
Police said the injuries of the driver involved are “not thought to be life threatening”.
Police Hour has now launched a readers appeal to help raise money to support the family of the fallen police officer and the 91-year-old victim who has not yet been named Please Donate now even if it’s just £5.