Heavy snow is causing chaos on a number of roads across cumbria.
A HGV has jack-knifed on the M6 near Shap. There is believed to be no injuries however delays are to be expected.
Drivers are asked to avoid the following roads as they are currently closed, or the snow has created potentially dangerous road conditions:
· Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass is closed. The Mountain Rescue Team are in attendance recovering a vehicle
· A66 Eastbound – Traffic brought to a standstill as HGV’s have become stuck
· A66 Westbound – Traffic moving very slowly
· A5092 – Both ways are blocked. There is queuing traffic between A5084 (Penny Bridge) and A590 (Greenod)
· A686 – Alston (two vehicle road traffic collision, no injuries believed at this time). Road is temporarily closed whilst emergency services deal
Police would like to stress that motorists should only travel if necessary. Police would also urge that motorists drive to the conditions if they are travelling at all.
Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.