Police have this evening placed a speed restriction of 30mph on the M6 south of Penrith, near to Tebay.
Police believe there is a high risk of black ice and are urging all motorists to slow down on the M6.
Police also advise that motorists only travel if necessary due to the treacherous driving conditions.
Drivers are asked to avoid the following roads as the snow has created potentially dangerous road conditions:
· Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass is closed. The Mountain Rescue Team are in attendance recovering a vehicle
· A66 Eastbound – Traffic moving very slowly
· A66 Westbound – Traffic moving very slowly
· A5092 – Both ways are blocked. There is queuing traffic between A5084 (Penny Bridge) and A590 (Greenod)
· A686 – Alston (two vehicle road traffic collision, no injuries believed at this time). Road is temporarily closed whilst emergency services deal
Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.Tweets by PoliceHour