Connect with us


Police officer jailed for leaking information to convicted criminal



WEST Midlands Police has promised ‘no hiding place’ for any officers who believe they’re above the law and let the public down by abusing their position in the force.

The warning comes as a former detective was jailed for carrying out illegal searches on police IT systems and leaking confidential information to a convicted drug dealer.

Daniel Watts was sacked on 29 August last year by West Midlands Police for gross misconduct – admitted passing details of police intelligence gathering to Stephen Hunt, including whether officers were planning to arrest criminal associates or carry out raids.

A court heard that 31-year-old Watts – who joined West Midlands Police in 2001 – first made checks for Hunt in April 2005 whilst the 33-year-old was on trial for drug supply but continued up until his arrest in October 2012.

Watts, from Chester Road in Erdington, admitted conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office and at Stafford Crown Court on October 18 was jailed for 28 months.

An application to seize all or part of his police pension is underway with the final decision on how much to confiscate being taken by the Home Secretary.

Hunt, from Edge Hill Road in West Heath, denied the same offence but was found guilty following a trial; he was also sent to prison for 28 months and handed an additional 10-years behind bars for drug dealing.

A crown court judge had placed reporting restrictions on the misconduct case but they were lifted yesterday (Jan 13) when Hunt’s drugs trial concluded at Wolverhampton Crown Court.

Superintendent Tim Godwin from West Midlands Police’s Professional Standards Department – the unit tasked with investigating allegations of officer misconduct – said the force demanded the upmost integrity and professionalism from all its officers and staff.

He said: “Police officers take a vow to serve the public and uphold the law with fairness, integrity and impartiality. Any that fall short of those standards, or who abuse their position, will face disciplinary action, the prospect of criminal prosecution and potential dismissal.

“No police officer is above the law. Daniel Watts was a rogue officer who believed he could discretely pass information to a friend in the criminal fraternity – but we have a dedicated team of anti-corruption officers whose job is to uncover any misconduct.

“As soon as Watts’ was suspected of acting improperly an investigation was launched that resulted in his arrested and suspension from duty. He was subsequently sacked by the Chief Constable at an internal hearing, following his guilty plea in court, and has now been jailed.

“His police career is over and he faces the prospect of having his police pension seized; he’s rightly paid a very high price for these breaches of trust and position.”

The court heard that Watts was repeatedly “tasked” by Hunt to obtain information from police computer systems; some of the information related to him personally whilst other material concerned Hunt’s criminal associates.

His illegal IT activity was exposed on 3 March last year when police raided the home of a crime suspect in Northfield where a mobile phone was seized containing a text message that, via another phone, was traced to a mobile used by Watts.

Enquiries showed the message, concerning police warrants executed at addresses of crime suspects, was accurate and could only have been provided from police systems…and that it was confidential information.

Anti-corruption officers were able to prove the message originated from a phone attributable to Watts and was sent when he was on duty and using a police computer work station.

In interview the former detective with Force CID admitted his system checks weren’t for legitimate police business but rather “out of curiosity” or to check the accuracy of what he was being told by Hunt.

At the start of their friendship Watts said the checks were conducted to ensure he wasn’t associating with a criminal – and he claimed not to have sent any confidential or sensitive information, or anything Hunt wouldn’t already have known.

However, he was charged on 29 November 2012 with conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office and later went on to admit the offence in court.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Hospital turn off life support machine because family couldn’t pay £7k bill



The family of British man have been left devastated and furious after an Egyptian hospital because staff switched off his life support without their permission.

Despite this the hospital claim Adrian King suffered cardiac arrest however his family have told the local courts it’s because they didn’t have the money to pay a £7k insurance bill.

Adrian aged 39 became ill while he was on holiday with his friend in Hurghada, on Egypt’s east coast.

All of a sudden he fell unconscious and was being treated in hospital, during his time in hospital it was discovered his insurance policy have been voided and they demanded an upfront payment while he laid on his death bed.

The inquest heard how the insurance was void as he had not declared a bacterial infection he had within his stomach two years before his holiday.

Adrian’s dad Charles Bumford told the hearing: “A man at the hospital stood in my son’s room and told me: ‘The insurance is null and void – you pay now or I switch off the machines.’

“I didn’t have the £7,000 ($9,800) he was asking for at that time. As he walked out of the room he started switching things off.”

Charles added that he tried contacting the hospital ’50 times’ but he never received an answer. The friend Adrian was with at the time, Nicola, was similarly confused by the situation occurring in the medical facility.

“They did the second dialysis and then said that the insurance was voided,” she told the inquest.

“They never said he had a cardiac arrest or anything, they said it was stopping, because the funding was stopped.”

Our thoughts are with the family of Adrian at this difficult time.



Continue Reading


Woman arrested after leaving move your vehicle note on ambulance attending 999 call



Police have taken a zero tolerance approach to a woman who left a note on an ambulance.

The note left paramedics disgusted police have now confirmed they have arrested a woman after the abusive note was left on an ambulance demanding it parked somewhere else while it was attending a 999 emergency call.

The note stated ‘I couldn’t give a s**t if the whole street collapsed”

The crew were also verbally abused while attending the emergency call while attempting to deal with an ongoing medical incident on Sunday afternoon.

Now a 26-year-old Tunstall woman has been arrested for public order offences.

Chief Inspector John Owen, commander of Staffordshire Police’s Stoke-on-Trent North policing team, tweeted about the incident.

He added: “We will not tolerate abuse or intimidation of our emergency services. This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and we will take appropriate action against offenders.

“The arrest relates to matters of verbal abuse that could constitute offences under the Public Order Act. This is not solely about the note.”

A Staffordshire Police spokesman confirmed the force took action after seeing details reported on Twitter.

The woman remains in police custody and enquiries are on-going.



Continue Reading


Jon Venables Reportedly Attacked With Boiling Water By Fellow Inmate



Jon Venables attacked with boiling water by a fellow inmate. 

Jon Venables, one of the schoolboys who murdered James Bulger in 1993 has been attacked in prison after an image was released on social media.

Venables who is now aged 35 was attacked with boiling water and sugar after a fellow inmate managed to work out his identity.

Venables have been living under a fake name since 2001 and was sent back to jail having broken the conditions of his release and being found guilty of child pornography.

Venables was banned from travelling back to Liverpool but he had been attending music events and going to Everton Football matches.

He was later found to be in possession of cocaine and was also having a relationship with an underage girl.

Prison Officers were forced to place Venables on lockdown after his identity was revealed and he was attacked with boiling water and sugar.

it is alleged that Venables complained that guards did nothing at first to stop the attack from happening and offered him little help once he had been assaulted.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed to Police Hour that “incidents of this nature happen within prisons and we cannot discuss the nature of individual cases”

Now that the true identity of Venables is known within side the prison after images have been circulated among inmates it will be inevitable that another attack will happen.

Venables is currently serving a three-year sentence for child pornography offences and possession of 1,170 images of children which included babies.

It is believed inmates have been circulating images of Venables from prison to prison in the hope that one prisoner can identity him.

Facebook and Twitter this month removed images from their social media websites of various men who people claimed was Venables.

It is a criminal offence to name or identity Venables on social media due to an anonymity order granted in 2001 that prevents him from ever being named or identified.

Due to the nature of his repeat offending there is mounting pressure to scrap that order in order to prevent further children being targeted.

However due to the nature of Venables sick attack these orders are likely never to be removed.



Continue Reading