Connect with us

News

Four sentenced for plans to sneak drugs and phones into prison

Published

on

20140124-181924.jpg

20140124-181943.jpg

THREE men and a woman have been sentenced at Preston Crown Court today (Friday 24 January 2014) for their role in conspiring to smuggle drugs and mobile phones into Garth Prison.

Bernard Jolly, 42, of Princess Street, Swinton, Manchester; Kevin McLoughlin, 55, of Croft Close, Kirkby Stephen; and Dean Cleworth, 33, of no fixed address, received custodial sentences of 51 weeks, 49 weeks and 49 weeks respectively. Cleworth’s sentence is to run consecutive to a current prison sentence that he is serving.

They had all earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply class B drugs, class C drugs and prohibited items into HMP Garth.

Faye Burke, 25, of Churchill Street, Stockport, had earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply prohibited items into HMP Garth and received a 29 week prison sentence suspended for two years.

The sentencing comes after two separate attempts to give packages to prisoner Dean Cleworth at the A&E Department at Chorley Hospital in September 2012.

On the first occasion, Jolly and McLoughlin left a package in a toilet for Cleworth – who had been taken to hospital after he claimed to be ill – to pick up. Cleworth was however taken to a different toilet and the package was recovered by Jolly and McLoughlin before they left.

On the second occasion, as Cleworth arrived at the hospital, McLoughlin was brought in by an ambulance claiming to have chest pains. Burke attended shortly after and told staff her father had been brought in with chest pains. Once on the ward, Burke put a package in a toilet. Cleworth was taken to the toilet and recovered 150 grams of cannabis resin (class B) and 25 subutex tablets (class C) and two mobile phones, which had been left by Burke. McLoughlin checked the toilet after Cleworth had left and then walked out of the hospital.

Staff at the hospital raised the alarm when McLoughlin could not be found. Cleworth was searched on his return to prison and found to have the drugs and mobile phones on him.

DC Martin Hulme from Chorley CID said: “Drugs and mobile phones have a much greater value inside a prison then they do on the streets. We estimate that the drugs and phones that were recovered on Cleworth would have had a value of around £9,000 inside the prison.

“This has been a complex investigation that shows that, despite the best efforts of organised criminals to cover their tracks, the police will remain committed to tackling the supply and use of illegal drugs across Lancashire.

“These offenders have used the services of the NHS and the North West Ambulance Service with no regard whatsoever for the needs of genuine patients. This disgraceful misuse of public services demonstrates the selfish and greedy attitude of the offenders.

“We work closely with colleagues from other forces as well as the prison service to combat drug supply and we will take action against anyone we suspect to be involved. I would urge anyone who has any information about drugs to tell us so that we can continue to take action.”

Governor of HMP Garth Steve Lawrence added: “Drugs and mobile phones are dangerous and illegal items within a prison environment. As criminals try to find new ways to supply such articles into the prison system, we will continue to work with our criminal justice partners to catch them at it.”

Jim Lloyd, Security Adviser at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We are thankful that our staff were so vigilant. This was an isolated incident and our staff do routinely check the public toilets in our hospitals. We have worked closely with both Lancashire Constabulary and the prison service to ensure that security is heightened when prisoners are brought into our hospitals.”

Information about drugs can be reported to the police on 101 or to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Hospital turn off life support machine because family couldn’t pay £7k bill

Published

on

The family of British man have been left devastated and furious after an Egyptian hospital because staff switched off his life support without their permission.

Despite this the hospital claim Adrian King suffered cardiac arrest however his family have told the local courts it’s because they didn’t have the money to pay a £7k insurance bill.

Adrian aged 39 became ill while he was on holiday with his friend in Hurghada, on Egypt’s east coast.

All of a sudden he fell unconscious and was being treated in hospital, during his time in hospital it was discovered his insurance policy have been voided and they demanded an upfront payment while he laid on his death bed.

The inquest heard how the insurance was void as he had not declared a bacterial infection he had within his stomach two years before his holiday.

Adrian’s dad Charles Bumford told the hearing: “A man at the hospital stood in my son’s room and told me: ‘The insurance is null and void – you pay now or I switch off the machines.’

“I didn’t have the £7,000 ($9,800) he was asking for at that time. As he walked out of the room he started switching things off.”

Charles added that he tried contacting the hospital ’50 times’ but he never received an answer. The friend Adrian was with at the time, Nicola, was similarly confused by the situation occurring in the medical facility.

“They did the second dialysis and then said that the insurance was voided,” she told the inquest.

“They never said he had a cardiac arrest or anything, they said it was stopping, because the funding was stopped.”

Our thoughts are with the family of Adrian at this difficult time.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Woman arrested after leaving move your vehicle note on ambulance attending 999 call

Published

on

Police have taken a zero tolerance approach to a woman who left a note on an ambulance.

The note left paramedics disgusted police have now confirmed they have arrested a woman after the abusive note was left on an ambulance demanding it parked somewhere else while it was attending a 999 emergency call.

The note stated ‘I couldn’t give a s**t if the whole street collapsed”

The crew were also verbally abused while attending the emergency call while attempting to deal with an ongoing medical incident on Sunday afternoon.

Now a 26-year-old Tunstall woman has been arrested for public order offences.

Chief Inspector John Owen, commander of Staffordshire Police’s Stoke-on-Trent North policing team, tweeted about the incident.

He added: “We will not tolerate abuse or intimidation of our emergency services. This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and we will take appropriate action against offenders.

“The arrest relates to matters of verbal abuse that could constitute offences under the Public Order Act. This is not solely about the note.”

A Staffordshire Police spokesman confirmed the force took action after seeing details reported on Twitter.

The woman remains in police custody and enquiries are on-going.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Jon Venables Reportedly Attacked With Boiling Water By Fellow Inmate

Published

on

Jon Venables attacked with boiling water by a fellow inmate. 

Jon Venables, one of the schoolboys who murdered James Bulger in 1993 has been attacked in prison after an image was released on social media.

Venables who is now aged 35 was attacked with boiling water and sugar after a fellow inmate managed to work out his identity.

Venables have been living under a fake name since 2001 and was sent back to jail having broken the conditions of his release and being found guilty of child pornography.

Venables was banned from travelling back to Liverpool but he had been attending music events and going to Everton Football matches.

He was later found to be in possession of cocaine and was also having a relationship with an underage girl.

Prison Officers were forced to place Venables on lockdown after his identity was revealed and he was attacked with boiling water and sugar.

it is alleged that Venables complained that guards did nothing at first to stop the attack from happening and offered him little help once he had been assaulted.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed to Police Hour that “incidents of this nature happen within prisons and we cannot discuss the nature of individual cases”

Now that the true identity of Venables is known within side the prison after images have been circulated among inmates it will be inevitable that another attack will happen.

Venables is currently serving a three-year sentence for child pornography offences and possession of 1,170 images of children which included babies.

It is believed inmates have been circulating images of Venables from prison to prison in the hope that one prisoner can identity him.

Facebook and Twitter this month removed images from their social media websites of various men who people claimed was Venables.

It is a criminal offence to name or identity Venables on social media due to an anonymity order granted in 2001 that prevents him from ever being named or identified.

Due to the nature of his repeat offending there is mounting pressure to scrap that order in order to prevent further children being targeted.

However due to the nature of Venables sick attack these orders are likely never to be removed.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending