Detectives in Essex have issued a nationwide appeal for information about the death of a man who had attended a music festival near South Woodham Ferrers.

Officers have widened the search in an attempt to trace any witnesses from other parts of the country who were at the Brownstock festival at Stow Maries in August last year.

The investigation is into the death of pedestrian Paul Wickerson, 32, who was struck by a car about 20 minutes after leaving the Brownstock festival site on Saturday, August 31.

Mr Wickerson’s parents have released a photograph of Paul in the hope that other festival-goers and motorists might remember seeing him and can help police to find out more about events leading to his death.

Investigations have established that Mr Wickerson, who lived in Australia, left the festival site at Woodham Road at about 10.21pm. He died at about 10.45pm when he was in collision with several cars at Lower Burnham Road, Cold Norton, near the junction with Fambridge Road.

Investigating officer DC Keith Sloggett, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “We are seeking any information as to where Mr Wickerson was during his final hour. We believe that he was walking along the road wearing just a pair of shorts.”
“The investigation is also looking to gain information of how Mr Wickerson arrived at the location where he was involved in the collision which is approximately two-and-a-half miles from the festival. In addition to that we are also keen to hear from anyone who was ejected from the festival that weekend.”

Anyone with information should contact DC Sloggett at the Colchester MIT office on 101, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or email [email protected]

A 48-year-old man from Ilford, east London and a 32-year-old man from Sawbridgeworth, Herts were arrested in October on suspicion of manslaughter.

They have been bailed until February 19 pending further enquiries.

A 29-year-old man from Shoeburyness, Essex was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and a 36-year-old man from Southend, Essex was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. They were arrested on Monday December 30 and have also been bailed until February 19 pending further enquiries.