· Don’t leave presents under the tree particularly if visible from windows or doors.
· Make use of the free and secure registration websites to register items of value such as I.T., mobile phones, cycles, electrical items such as TV’s, Games Consoles etc
· Dispose of present packaging carefully as empty boxes left outside can advertise that you have new and desirable goods inside your home.
· Never keep large amounts of cash at home.
· Ensure that all doors and windows are locked- use a dead or double lock on outside doors
· Lock up sheds and garages so thieves cannot gain access to ladders and tools which they could use to gain access to your home.
· Never leave keys anywhere near the front door; burglars know where to look.
· When you go out at night, consider leaving the lights on with curtains drawn so it looks like someone is home.
Let us know your views by tweeting @PoliceHour We'll feature the best tweets within the article.