Connect with us

News

Teenage pair sentenced for two burglaries in Morecambe

Published

on

AN 18-year-old man from Morecambe and a 17-year-old boy were today sentenced for committing two burglaries on one street in Morecambe.

Daniel Bell, 18, of Princes Crescent, Morecambe, was sentenced to two years’ detention in a youth offenders’ institution at Preston Crown Court having previously pleaded guilty of one count of dwelling burglary and one count of non-dwelling burglary relating to a shed break-in. Furthermore, the 17-year-old boy was sentenced to a twelve month supervision order and 240 hours of unpaid work having previously pleaded guilty to two counts of handling stolen goods for his part in both offences.

The offences took place sometime between the night of Saturday 14 September and the morning of Sunday 15 September when Bell and the 17-year-old boy broke into a property on Hest Bank Road, Morecambe, stealing cash, a purse and the 98-year-old victim’s engagement ring from her bedside table as she slept. The engagement ring had particular sentimental value to the victim as it was given to her by her late husband in 1943. The shed break-in was carried out at an address also on Hest Bank Road, Morecambe, during the same time period, stealing electrical tool equipment.

DC Sarah Houghton of Lancaster CID said “I am pleased to report we recovered the ring and returned it to the victim. The disparity of the two offences shows the clear disregard Bell and his accomplice had for who may be the victims of their offences, and, on this occasion, one of them was a 98-year-old lady.

“I welcome the custodial sentence given to Bell today, and hope it provides some solace for the victims.

“Although dwelling burglaries are low in Lancashire, there have been a number of burglaries into sheds, garages and outbuildings, often targeting electrical equipment, tools and high value bikes, around Lancaster and Morecambe in recent months. We would encourage homeowners to use strong locks and security lights on their sheds and outbuildings, and ensure the hinges and locking mechanisms on all doors are in good order.”

The sentencing comes as Lancashire Constabulary come to the end of Operation Julius, targeting criminals and detecting burglaries across the county.

It will run until the end of this month and will see officers using a range of overt and covert tactics including visits to Lancashire’s top 30 burglary suspects, executing warrants and high-visibility police patrols.

Anyone with information or concerns about burglary can contact police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. No personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you will not go to court.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Cops catch gang of criminals leaving Hartlepool in stolen cars

Published

on

Recently in Hartlepool there has been an increase in criminals targeting Ford Fiesta cars, because criminals have a device that gets them into the car without the need for a key.

Over recent months up to Three Fiesta at a time have been going missing.

This morning the gang was at it again but this tome they didn’t count on the CDSOU A Relief who this morning recovered not 1; not 2 but 3 Stolen Ford Fiesta motor cars all attempting to leave Hartlepool containing suspected travelling criminals.

Police said “One of the vehicles unfortunately lost control and crashed while the other 2 vehicles had their front tyres stung and limped to a stop with one of the vehicle’s going the wrong way onto the A19 which was stopped by an unmarked vehicle. The driver was detained after a short foot chase and with the assistance of dog section 2 more males were also detained from another vehicle.

“Offences these males were arrested on suspicion of were theft of motor vehicle; drink driving; drug driving; dangerous driving; fail to stop for Police; no insurance and no licence.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

TV Presenter Dale Winton Dies Aged 62

Published

on

Dale Winton who was best known for his game show Supermarket Sweep and In It To Win it has tragically died aged 62z

His agent has this evening confirmed the very sad news that Winton has lost his life.

No further details around Winton’s death have been released and it is requested that his family are offered privacy at this very tragic time.

His long-term agent Jan Kennedy said:

It is with great sadness that we can confirm the passing of Dale Winton who died at home earlier today.

While we know many will share this terrible loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this time of grief.

A number of tributes have been left on Twitter

Winton started his career as a DJ in London and he was soon hosting his own show on local radio.

This lead Winton to joining the BBC Bristol to present Pet Watch for BBC One.

Over the years he also worked for Channel 4 ITV and on BBC One’s national lottery show.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

News

Girl aged 5 sadly dies after being recovered from the water at Durdle Door in Dorest

Published

on

Officers investigating an incident where a girl tragically died after being recovered from the water at Durdle Door are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

At around 11.30am today, Wednesday 18 April 2018, HM Coastguard received reports of a child and a woman in distress in the water at Durdle Door in Dorset.

The woman was rescued from the water by a member of the public. A Ministry of Defence military range safety vessel, which was in the area and responded to a Mayday broadcast, recovered the girl from the water.

The five-year-old girl, from Salisbury, was taken by the RNLI Weymouth Lifeboat to Weymouth and transferred by the ambulance service to Dorset County Hospital, where she was sadly pronounced dead.

Detective Inspector Steve May, of Dorset Police, said: “Our thoughts are with the family of the young girl involved at this very difficult time.

“At this time there is nothing to suggest this was anything other than a tragic accident however, with the sudden death of any child we have an obligation to carry out an investigation to establish the full circumstances of what happened.

“I am appealing to anyone who witnessed how the girl came to be in the water and has not already spoken to police to contact us immediately.

“There were also a number of visitors in the area at the time and I am appealing to anyone who may have filmed or photographed the incident to please get in touch as it may assist our investigation.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email [email protected] or by calling 101, quoting incident number 18:127. 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending