Cumbria Police can confirm that the heavy rain has caused localised flooding across areas of Cumbria.
The counties roads are affected by standing water and Police want to take this opportunity ask motorists to drive only if necessary. If you have to travel please slow down and drive with care. The following roads are heavily affected / closed due to standing water and motorists are asked to avoid these areas:
· Arkleby Road, Aspatria
· Hayton Village, Aspatria
· Seaton Bridge, Main road, Seaton, Workington
· Bottom of Stainburn Hill, Workington
· Briscoe Crescent, Whitehaven
· Common End, Distington
· Coach Road, Whitehaven
· Esk Avenue, Whitehaven
· Gilgarren, Nr Cockermouth
· Road between Broughton Moor and Dovenby
· A594 at Dovenby
· A5086 Sheep and Wool Centre towards Egremont
· B5305 between Wigton and the M6
The Cumbria Coast Railway line that runs between Carlisle and Barrow is currently closed at Harrington, Workington due to a landslide. Network Rail expect the line will remain closed tomorrow whilst they work to clear the line.
Police have received calls from members of the public asking for sand bags, some district authorities supply these as follows:
· Copeland Borough Council: 0845 054 8600 – (This number has out of hours support for flooding – after a message about what out of hours support is available it automatically diverts to an out of hours call centre). http://www.copeland.gov.uk/
· Eden District Council: http://www.eden.gov.uk/
o Provide sand and sandbags to properties located in formal flood warning areas during a declared Flood Warning period in Appleby, Eamont Bridge, Bolton, Eden Hall and Armathwaite.
o Deliver sand bags to individual properties at imminent risk of flooding subject to available resources and other priorities during a flooding event.
o Make sand bags available for collection by residents from TFE Accord depot at Old London Road, Penrith only on approval of Eden District Council’s Client team telephone 01768 817817.
· South Lakeland District Council: 0845 050 4434, http://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/
Carlisle City Council (http://www.carlisle.gov.uk/ )and Allerdale Borough Council (http://www.allerdale.gov.uk/ )do not provide sandbags, however, if you live outside of these areas, you can contact the Environment Agencies Floodline for advice and information on: 0845 988 1188.
For more information about flood alerts, visit http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx
Visit the Traffic Link map at http://www.cumbria.police.uk/traffic-link-map to keep up to date with the latest situation on the roads.
Keep up-to-date with the weather at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map